· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default tiny chip inside 75 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    hey all!! been working on this tank for awhile, and everyday i seem to find a new problem with it. my question is will a small chip (about the size of a finish nail head, maybe an 8th inch at most) inside the tank, in the center of the glass pane, cause a problem? quite a bit of pressure in a 75 gallon!! can i put silicone or epoxy on it to keep it from becoming a crack or fracture? its not real deep into the half inch glass,(maybe 1/16 th of an inch), just wanna be sure it wont explode on me full of water. thanks everyone

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cmon guys, can anyone give me an idea of what I'm getting into here? Just wanna be safe, gonna leak test outside, but if u guys just think it ruined, I'll toss it. If it were on the outside I wouldn't worry, but inside, closer to the bottom? That makes me nervous!! Just lookin for some ideas. Thanx

0 Not allowed!
    Can you post a pic?

That might help. I know it would help me understand better
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks cliff, I'm at work right now but I'll try as soon as I get home. How do you pictures on this forum? I've never done it, only my avatar. It's literally no more than an 1/8 inch wide and no more than a 1/16 inch deep. It's a circular chip, but it seems contained( no small cracks spreading from it). Would a dab of silicone help keep it from spreading? Thanks alot cliff I really appreciate it!!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I forgot to add, it's on the inside of the front pane, basically center from left to right, and about 5" up from the bottom. Thanks again!!

0 Not allowed!
    Not too brainy about such things but perhaps you can silicone a square of glass over it rather than trying to fill up a wee hole and put that side of the tank to the back?

0 Not allowed!
    Post up a pic of the chip. I had a tank with a similar chip, had no issues with it. Silicone won't really help. If it was a larger chip or crack, you could silicone on a piece of extra glass onto it. I think the chip is small enough you don't have to worry about it, small rounded chip with no cracks going off of it, but the ultimate decision is up to you. If it keeps you up at night, go and swap that tank out for another one.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK, I think i got the attachment thing figured out. ( I aint to bright when it comes to computers!!) These are the best photos i could get, nothing to show the depth of the chip,but its no more than 1/16th of an inch. its actually about 8'' up from the bottom, so almost half way up. think it will be fine, just wanted some expert opinions. thanks alot everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Chips and gouges in glass tanks are always cause for concern. The question that you need to consider is how much cost and damage would be involved if the flaw spreads.
    Personally I'd not put that tank in a living area. It could last forever though.

Good luck.