· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

0 Not allowed!
    Diagnosing fish diseases isn't always that easy. The best thing is to not have to try by keeping fish healthy.

To learn what signifies stress in your Kuhli loaches, I think there's an article somewhere on this forum about loaches which include Kuhlis. Also, typing in "Kuhli loaches" in your browser's search engine might take you to some good information on what their normal behaviors are, and what to look for in the way of abnormal behavior that may be caused by stress.

Loaches are fun little fish, and sometimes their antics are no more than playfulness, yet if they seem out of the ordinary they may cause alarm. Dojo loaches like to shoot up to the surface suddenly to grab a bubble of air, as they can store oxygen and survive outside of the water for a brief period of time. Someone unfamiliar with dojo behaviors might find this disconcerting and wonder if the loach is well (if you have these, keep a tight lid on your tank or they WILL ESCAPE!).

I suggest reading up on Kuhlis and learn what to generally expect from them as natural behaviors. You will then be in a better position to know if they are acting unnaturally. Of course, there'll always be that one odd individual who will defy the norm and still be perfectly okay ... The main things to watch for are faded color and a profound change in eating habits, especially when fed the usual foods they are accustomed to, as well as skin lesions. These things are never normal in healthy fish. Extreme listlessness in normally active fish can also be a clue that something is wrong, especially if the lethargy continues over a prolonged period of time.

Please feel free to ask us anything. You are in a learning process, and it's obvious you are seeking reliable information. It's a little tough when there's conflicting information and viewpoints to know which way to go when trying to implement advice, and then it just has to be trial and error to learn what works in your tank, with your fish.

A rule of thumb that I always follow when using any kind of medicines, for myself or my pets, is to use as conservative a dose as possible to start with. If the condition is caught early enough, full dosage may not be necessary. And the smallest dose that works will usually result in minimal or no adverse side effects.

By the way, welcome to the forum! How is the weather over there in Lithuania?

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, mermaidwannabe! Replies in red below, within your quote.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe
    Diagnosing fish diseases isn't always that easy. The best thing is to not have to try by keeping fish healthy. Since I made some mistakes in the beginning, that continue to come back and haunt me now....such as starting with loaches to begin with....the task of keeping them healthy to start with has seemed almost impossible despite my best efforts. Finally the main tank seems healthy enough, but it required two episodes of ich treatment....which the second may not have been ich at all, and netting out and disposing of several sick and other suspicious fish. Although realize that may be a logical and normal thing to happen in fishkeeping, I'm not accustomed to the idea to dispose of a fish, or any little creature, without trying to first help it. I need to change my opinion of course. My thinking is not reasonable and even opposite of what would be most compassionate. But it isn't easy.

Loaches are fun little fish, and sometimes their antics are no more than playfulness, yet if they seem out of the ordinary they may cause alarm. Dojo loaches .........man you got that right! They are hilarious! I did tons of research on the internet about all sorts of behaviours in fish and decided we must have loaches! Unfortunately, my research did not go beyond their behaviour and what type of water parameters and decor they needed. I read that they were scaleless, but never connected that this detail meant different medical needs and not a good starter fish. The local pet stores were more than willing to start my tank cycling with whatever fish I wanted and as many of them and assured me the bacteria booster "would speed up the cycling process without harm to the fish". Since then, I realize this was a mistake, and is continuing to haunt and hinder my success.

On the topic of Dojo "weather" loaches, my husband is an absolute nutty freak about weather observation. So when we were discussing what fish to start my hobby with, we discovered this weather loach. It seemed the best combination of his most loved hobby, and my new hobby. And oh my goodness what hilarious antics we saw on the internet videos! We wanted one really badly.....even researched how to ship or bring it in....but can't get them in Lithuania....short of illegal smuggling, which of course isn't an option. : (

Please feel free to ask us anything. You are in a learning process, and it's obvious you are seeking reliable information. .......Thank you very much. It is more and more obvious to me there are major differences in fishkeeping no matter where you are. Ultimately I prefer to have as many opinions and ideas as possible, research the logic, research the ingredients in medicines, research availability and shipping cost, then decide for myself what to try first.

A rule of thumb that I always follow when using any kind of medicines, for myself or my pets, is to use as conservative a dose as possible to start with...... Exactly!! For ourselves, we usually prefer a more "natural" method first, within reason of course. Example, salt garggle for a sore throat, garlic when need natural antibiotic, aloe plant for a burn, etc. So, right or wrong, salt and heat seemed the more "natural" approach, or perhaps more correctly----the least harmful. However, I still want to be prepared for the future, in case it would happen again, how to treat all the fishes together, with a medicine----the most mild, yet effective. Must wait for now to buy and set up, but seriously considering keeping the loaches in a seperate tank all their own or with just one little fancy guppy like a betta.

If the condition is caught early enough,..... I watch my fish like a hawk. Don't have many and only one tank that is no longer heavily decorated as before....so it is easy to find and watch every fish for a few minutes. Head count every day. So hopefully, whatever these three neons in isolation have now, was caught early enough and did not leave behind anything for the rest of the fish to catch. At least, that is my main concern. If felt 100% sure I would not be facing the same disease in the main tank in the future, I would likely just dispose of the three neons. But since not sure, more of the same illness won't crop up in the near future, I am using the three neons as a test group to help cure them---not just for their own benefit, but for the future good of the remaining fish.

By the way, welcome to the forum! How is the weather over there in Lithuania? Thanks for asking. Lithuania is a small country near the sea. It is very similar, nearly the same, as Ohio where we are from. Very often the same weather parent's are having, we are having the same. Not much adjustment for us there!

-- mermaidwannabe
    50 gal - finally fish! 11 pangio kuhli loaches, 10 neon tetras, 4 zebra danios, 3 cherry barbs, 3 guppies
    10 gal - temporarily closed
    5 gal - temporarily closed

Proverbs 11:14 & 15:22 -- Thanks for your help!

0 Not allowed!
    So, you're originally from Ohio! No wonder you communicate so fluently in English . . . Sad about not being able to get dojo loaches. They're my all-time favorite aquarium fish. Mine are spoiled rotten.

--mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mine would be spoiled too. And so far, doing a good job trying to spoil the pangio loaches. The other fish grab all the good food at the top before it reaches them. So have discovered putting the blood worms, still partially frozen, as well as other types of food, directly into their little favorite hide-aways, helps them get their share.
    50 gal - finally fish! 11 pangio kuhli loaches, 10 neon tetras, 4 zebra danios, 3 cherry barbs, 3 guppies
    10 gal - temporarily closed
    5 gal - temporarily closed

Proverbs 11:14 & 15:22 -- Thanks for your help!