· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1
    Cermet, I see no reason to put salt in a freshwater tank. ... I'm sure there must be a good use for salt in a freshwater aquarium, but in all my years of keeping fish I have not come across one.
    Not sure what you think I wrote but I agreed with you in my post. I do not feel salt should be used by most people without a good reason. I also only felt ick should be treated by meds, not salt.

If you think salt shouldn't be used in a discus tank, that is another matter and it absolutely should (when the fish is sick, not eating, injured or when not sure what is wrong)and is used by ALL professional breeders and knowledgeable users for these and even other reasons.

Salt absolutely does have a use for injured fish - like with gill burn from nitrites and many people here have told me that and I have used it. Even seen that one in books.

Again, I do not feel the average aquarium should have salt, and in that I agree with you.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quick Cure will do a fine safe job treating a whole tank ich outbreak,even with sensitive fish. and even if used at full strength. Here is how,split the full dose up into half morning and half evening. As Lh has experianced fish such as neons are tough to treat with any process. Its not nesacarily the med that does the killing but a combo of the ich ,stress from being ill,ill from being stressed and the med can be the final straw. More then likely that neon would have died anyway no matter what treatment was used.IME,,,,,,of course

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    Quick Cure will do a fine safe job treating a whole tank ich outbreak,even with sensitive fish. and even if used at full strength. Here is how,split the full dose up into half morning and half evening. As Lh has experianced fish such as neons are tough to treat with any process. Its not nesacarily the med that does the killing but a combo of the ich ,stress from being ill,ill from being stressed and the med can be the final straw. More then likely that neon would have died anyway no matter what treatment was used.IME,,,,,,of course
    Gill burn from nitrates! Holy crap ,this hasnt happened to your fish has it Cermet?

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, I bought new rainbows. They got ick and was sharing a tank with a bunch of tetra's. None of them were neons and none of them were infected. But as in all aspects of this hobby, we can sometimes have different results.

0 Not allowed!
    That you don't need meds now but wish to be prepared for the future is a good thing, and prudent.

By continuing to maintain your tank, avoiding overfeeding, and being sure to purchase only healthy new fish, quarantining them if you can, and acclimating them properly, you may never need to use meds in your tank. Having them on hand just in case provides peace of mind, but remember that their shelf life may be limited.

If you do have to medicate at some time in the future, when you have finished, you'll need to remove the medicines from your tank, and you'll need fresh carbon in your filter for that. Until then, no carbon is necessary and extra surface for biofiltration will be of benefit.

It's nice to be prepared, and even nicer if you don't need to use the meds you stock up on. It may seem wasteful to have them and not use them, but if you end up needing them, you'll be glad you got them.

Prevention is your best protection against diseases. Avoid overstocking the tank and religiously keep up the water changes, cleaning the substrate on a regular schedule.

What kind of aquarium supplies catalogs are available in your country? Can you get Foster and Smith or Pet Solutions? These are good sources for acquiring the products you may need, if you're unable to get them through your local retail establishments. Shipping may be expensive, however ...

Best of success to you ...

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion, quick cure is bad to use. It contains malachite green which is some nasty stuff. Malachite green is toxic to fish and has an accumulative effect. The substance can persist in fish for a long time. It has been banned in the US since the early 80's for use in fish intended for consumption because its a carcinogen.

There's a lengthy report on the effects of malachite green done by a veterinary college I can track down if you'd like.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Many meds are toxic to the patient,since we dont intend to eat our pet fish it is safe to say that its carcinogenic affect is a moot point. Salt causes high blood pressure in humans,IME [I have hbp] it is a bad thing to use salt

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WendysWorld
    So it seems, given the choice, at least those fishkeepers that have replied to my question, choose not to use salt for most any reason, especially as a medicine????
    I love my loaches most, and would choose to get rid of all other fish and keep
    Freshwater fish are freshwater fish.
    Why anyone would chose to expose them to a toxin is the question you need to ask before requiring "proof" that too many websites are promoting outdated, inaccurate propaganda.

What we call Ich is a parasite with a known life cycle. If your community tank gets exposed to Ich it's your fault. If you care about your loaches, don't bring parasites into your tank.

If the colloquial "you" can't quarantine fish for a month or more, then purchase fish from a store that does quarantine and promotes that fact. Yes, that costs more and may require a road trip.
    Last edited by dbosman; 05-05-2012 at 07:31 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I still feel salt and heat were my best options at that time to treat what I thought was ich since had no other medications to use that knew for sure would not harm the loaches even more than the salt.

I REALLY appreciate EVERYONE's advice and input. Feel a bit at a loss here. This thread was started out of admission that the first problem is my inability to correctly diagnosis to begin with. Obviously second problem for any beginner, and more complicated for me in a foreign country, is choosing which medicine is the best to use.

While fish keeping may have a variety of opinions, that each person BY THEIR OWN EXPERIENCE learns from------I AM NEW HERE!!! Completely dependent on your advice for what best to do. Only from trial and error of applying your advice combined with what products I have available to me here in my country, can I later form my own opinions on preferred methods.

In view of my difficulty to diagnose correctly in the first place, likely the last episode of "ich" wasn't "ich" at all, but something else I may never know what.

In any case, the last episode of "ich" I treated with salt and high temps. Though whatever it was (ich or something else) has been gone for more than a week in the main tank, and all the salt removed by large water changes, I worried the entire time about the loaches. I felt clueless what signs of stress due to the salt to look for, how to know how they were reacting poorly to the salt or not----which is why posted this thread for my future reference.

However, I really want to continue to keep loaches. So trusting you folks to give me your ideas of alternative medications to treat ich that kuhli loaches can tolerate for future use. I cannot buy either of the meds you folks suggested in Lithuania. But I WILL BUY BOTH and order from internet!!!!

Also planning to buy a refractometer and learn how to do the salt dip/bath that Dave66 swears by and explains how to do in one of his stickies.

Gradually, as gain my own experience through trial and error, I will draw my own conclusions what works best for the fish I keep and in a country with different fishkeeping practices/standards/product availability. In the meantime, I really depend on each of your input, advice, experience, to help me succeed. Thank you very much for your help!
    50 gal - finally fish! 11 pangio kuhli loaches, 10 neon tetras, 4 zebra danios, 3 cherry barbs, 3 guppies
    10 gal - temporarily closed
    5 gal - temporarily closed

Proverbs 11:14 & 15:22 -- Thanks for your help!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman
    What we call Ich is a parasite with a known life cycle. If your community tank gets exposed to Ich it's your fault. If you care about your loaches, don't bring parasites into your tank.

If the colloquial "you" can't quarantine fish for a month or more, then purchase fish from a store that does quarantine and promotes that fact. Yes, that costs more and may require a road trip.
    Thank you for your frank opinion. I appreciate it. However, just for the record, first of all, the fish stores here:
    1. Do NOT quarantine any new fish. Shipped in, received, dumped into show tank, and sold same day.
    2. Fish stores do not offer refunds or returns for any fish that get sick, die, or I simply wish to return.... no exceptions, no excuses, already tried arguing that.

3. in addition, this last bout of "ich" has since been discovered it was likely not ick at all.

4. and finally, every new beginner has to start somewhere. Your first tank is your first tank.... that's it just plain and simple! You have to have one tank to start your first fish in somewhere!! Which still leaves at some point your first fish as a beginner going into a tank together! That first tank then, is in a sense, your first quarantine tank. It only makes sense that your first tank is your quarantine tank to begin with. While they are being properly quarantined in your first tank, you can be fishless cycling a second tank that will then become your quarantine tank for new fish. And hence the cycle of good fishkeeping begins of a true "show tank" and a "quarantine tank".

Though, admittedly, I made the mistake to BEGIN with loaches at the same time as other fish, without realizing they would need to be treated differently for certain illnesses. My own fault.....but much of my mistakes were based on advice from local fish stores. Which is why I highly value the advice now getting on this forum.
    50 gal - finally fish! 11 pangio kuhli loaches, 10 neon tetras, 4 zebra danios, 3 cherry barbs, 3 guppies
    10 gal - temporarily closed
    5 gal - temporarily closed

Proverbs 11:14 & 15:22 -- Thanks for your help!