· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

View Poll Results: Which do you like better?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glass Top

19 73.08%
  • Hood

7 26.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Cool Glass Tops VS Hoods

0 Not allowed!
    Do you like glass tops or hoods better and why.

Awards Showcase

lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 
    Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 
    Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    A canopy is a nice way to finish off the top of a tank. Gives it polish and what I would prefer.

A hood is an alright thing if you have cats or other critters that would jump on top.

A glass top is suitable if you don't have the critters that jump on top but you do have fish that jump.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glass tops clean up easier and allow for more lighting versatility.

0 Not allowed!
    I like glass lids but I also like canopys. I like each of them for different reasons
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Glass tops FTW.

Hoods are for cobras, And a canopy is what you are under after your parachute opens. .

I feel no need to distract from where the show actually is.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 05-04-2012 at 11:33 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i would some glass tops on my tanks, but currently dont have the money for it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have some of both and I'm not sure which I prefer to be honest.

I love that the light and cables are hidden by the canopy/hoods. But I also love the look of a glass top tank with a nice light suspended over top.
    ~Col~

4 ft 60g FW: 2 angels, 4 blind cave, 1 whiteskirt, 4 gold widows, 6 serpaes, 1 neonhead apisto, 4 clown loaches, 4 albino cory, 2 bronze corys & 3 BN plecos.
    23g FW: 1 neonhead apisto, 1 yoyo, 2 albino BN plecos & 4 pepper cory
    5.5g: Crowntail Betta, 6 black Khuli's & RCS
    5 g: Crowntail Betta, 1 albino cory (Quasi), 4 baby khuli's & RCS
    7 g: Dragontail Betta & 2 albino cory
    3ft Axi tank: 1 black, 1 gold - 1 redcap oranda & 2 albino cory

0 Not allowed!
    I prefer glass tops, the big reason being it doesn't limit your options in the future. If you decide to go with a planted aquarium, you can easily put on any light fixture and use that glass top. With a plastic hood if you went with a planted tank in the future, you are limited to the size of light fixture and bulbs you can use, so would end up replacing that hood with a glass one. Also I find with plastic hoods it seems like after a year or so, they become harder to clean, especially the clear part where the light shines through.

0 Not allowed!
    I prefer open top tanks without any of the above but in regards to the question, glass lids without question. My "hoods" all went in the trash.

Thumbs up Can you say 'Top off' ? :-P

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I prefer open top tanks without any of the above but in regards to the question, glass lids without question. My "hoods" all went in the trash.
    Same here LH.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.