· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Fishless cycling question

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, im currently doing a fishless cycle on a 29 gallon tank. I aslo have an established 10 gallon with a guppy and 4 dwarf corys that will be moved into the new tank once finished cycling. The tank been cycling for for 2weeks and everyday i have been feeding the tank with fish food. I ordered a liquied test kit online and finally received it yesterday and i tested the water and was suprised.

My ph was 8.2.
    Ammonia was 0.50
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5.0

Now im assuming the ph is cause of my tap water. So is there any remedy i can use to lower it? The tank is bare except for white sand (not crushed shells) and gravel. I heard bog wood helps?

With the ammonia nitrite and nitrate im confused. I dont understand how i have no nitrite, alot of ammonia and little nitrate. Is this normal or am i doing something wrong? I also read about "feeding" my tank with decor from my other tank. Do you guys think its a good idea to do that? And should i buy more deco to promote bacteria growth or should i just wait. I can use filter media because the filters are different sizes but could i rinse my 10 gallon filter in my 29 gallon tank to help speed things up? Thanks for the advice

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you are moving all the fish from your 10 gallon you could just move the filter from the 10 to the 29, provided it is cycled. By running both filters on the 29 with fish in the tank it will seed the new filter in a couple weeks. Go ahead and leave the filter for the 10 running in the 29 full time. If you need the use the 10 for a quarantine or hospital tank just move the small filter back to the 10.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, don't worry about your ph. If the ph can be stabilized (kept at a consistant level), it's usually fine for the fishes. You'll more than likely be buying your fish from a local fish store? So they'll be using the same tap water as you, and most pet stores/fish stores, don't really bother too much about adjusting the ph in all thier different tanks.

Getting some of that good bacteria from your other filter is a great idea. You can rinse it in the tank (making sure that the new tank is well and truly dechlorinated), and another thing you can do is rub the filter media from the 10g all over the new filter media. With the decor, there is very small amounts of bacteria on it - there's slightly more in the substrate. So if I was going to try moving anything, it would be a little of the substrate, but that could cause you to mess up the whole look of your tank, if the two substrates are different. I would probably, just try and get the new media seeded with the old media and leave it to do it's thing. Or you can even move the filter from the 10g staright over to the 29g, along with the fish, and you'll pretty much have an instant cycle. But keep testing to make sure.

Now, a couple of things regarding the water perameters.
    Have you had a nitrite reading at all yet?
    And have you tested the water straight from the tap? This could be where the nitrates are coming from.
    Last edited by escamosa; 05-04-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    Getting some of that good bacteria from your other filter is a great idea. You can rinse it in the tank (making sure that the new tank is well and truly dechlorinated), and another thing you can do is rub the filter media from the 10g all over the new filter media. With the decor, there is very small amounts of bacteria on it - there's slightly more in the substrate. So if I was going to try moving anything, it would be a little of the substrate, but that could cause you to mess up the whole look of your tank, if the two substrates are different. I would probably, just try and get the new media seeded with the old media and leave it to do it's thing. Or you can even move the filter from the 10g staright over to the 29g, along with the fish, and you'll pretty much have an instant cycle. But keep testing to make sure.

Now, a couple of things regarding the water perameters.
    Have you had a nitrite reading at all yet?
    And have you tested the water straight from the tap? This could be where the nitrates are coming from.
    When i tested it it was the first time i tested it period since the liquid test kit i ordered online took longer then expected. So so far no Nitrite. I tested it again last night and the readings were the same. i also tested the Nitrate in my tap water and the color was similar but just a tad lighter then the water in my tank. maybe its just taking awhile for the nitrite to devolop? or maybe i just been feeding the tank to much fish food and nitrate and nitrite cant keep up. im going to add maybe just a fraction of what ive been adding and see what happenes once the weekend is over. think this is a good idea?

Also, i rubbed my 10 gallon's filter media pluse the black wire thing on my 29's filter, then i dipped both 10s in my 29 tank and rinsed it in there. i hope it sppeds it up, but the filter was that dirty tobegan with so i dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by rmiller
    If you are moving all the fish from your 10 gallon you could just move the filter from the 10 to the 29, provided it is cycled. By running both filters on the 29 with fish in the tank it will seed the new filter in a couple weeks. Go ahead and leave the filter for the 10 running in the 29 full time. If you need the use the 10 for a quarantine or hospital tank just move the small filter back to the 10.
    would this really work? im worried about my fish going into shock and dieing because its a new tank. if i dont start getting nitrite by the monday or tuesday, i might just try what you say. Since atm my amonia is 0.50, should i do a 50% water chage before adding the fish and the filter? and i planning on moving all my decor from my old tank to the new one including the plants. i dont know if this matters. Oh and my 10 gallon also has a undergravel filter AND HOB filter. so i dont know how much bacteria is living in my HOB filter.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would avoid use the under gravel filter, they are more trouble than they are worth. If you were to transfer the filter from your 10 gallon to to the new tank, that should pretty much instant cycle you. The bacteria colony inside your HOB from the 10 gallon (assuming it's cycled) will have already grown enough to handle the amount of fish you have. If you have room inside the filter on the new tank, you can just put the filter media from your 10 gallon in it. This would help start seeding your new filter media.

Before adding any fish I'd do a large water change. Also, adding decor from the old tank to the new is good. Beneficial bacteria will live on all surfaces of the tank, not just the filter.

You don't have very many fish, I don't think you'd have any problems going to a new tank. Make sure you get your old filter media transferred over and you should be fine. Before adding more fish, make sure your cycle is going. Also, add more fish slowly so your bacteria colony can grow.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by f1shg33kz
    I would avoid use the under gravel filter, they are more trouble than they are worth. If you were to transfer the filter from your 10 gallon to to the new tank, that should pretty much instant cycle you. The bacteria colony inside your HOB from the 10 gallon (assuming it's cycled) will have already grown enough to handle the amount of fish you have. If you have room inside the filter on the new tank, you can just put the filter media from your 10 gallon in it. This would help start seeding your new filter media.

Before adding any fish I'd do a large water change. Also, adding decor from the old tank to the new is good. Beneficial bacteria will live on all surfaces of the tank, not just the filter.

You don't have very many fish, I don't think you'd have any problems going to a new tank. Make sure you get your old filter media transferred over and you should be fine. Before adding more fish, make sure your cycle is going. Also, add more fish slowly so your bacteria colony can grow.
    ok i might just do that. When do you think itll be ok to remove the old filter from the big tank? a week or 2?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd give it at least 2 weeks. 3-4 would probably better.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it were my tank, I would leave the small filter on the big tank. If for some reason you need a hospital tank you would have a cycled filter to move immediately. It would also allow you to set up a quarantine tank when you decide to add to your existing stock, or cycle another tank in the future. Having 2 filters on a tank is always a good thing.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

0 Not allowed!
    You are trying to cycle with fish flakes. Unlike pouring in pure ammonia and having the level you need immediately, the flakes have to rot and then produce ammonia. All that needs to be done before the bacteria can even began to grow.

You can not judge a persons fishless cycle by your cycling only using fish flakes. They would get an instant reading of high levels of ammonia and immediately began the process. As you can see, your method is a 2 week struggle just trying to reach a level of .05.