· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Is this algae?

1. Default Is this algae?

0 Not allowed!
    This stuff is growing all over my plants, and anytime I try to clean them, they just fall apart and end up floating everywhere in my tank. My Nitrates are going nuts because of this, the strands collect all the excess food particles!

These were brand new plants when I got them and put em in my tank, so I have no idea where they came from.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uavzwq3tlodqa5w/IMAG0879.jpg

Just in case the photo doesnt show up, it didnt on my end.

0 Not allowed!
    The picture still doesn't appear to be working, Maddy.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Good idea to give us the numbers on nitrates. What lighting do you use and how long? Do you add ferts - if you do, what type(s) and then, how often do you add them? Water changes - both how often and amount (as well as tank volume.)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/lff8gr7cpdai8bt/IMAG0879.jpg

Sorry the image didnt work, this should, otherwise I give up, lol

Im just using the regular 150W 120V bulb. Nothing fancy. About 10-12 hours a day. Sometimes more. I usually turn them on when I get up and off before I go to bed, or go to work late. I know I need to cut back on that already, but none of my other tanks are having algae problems. (anymore)

No ferts as I dont have live plants. I do weekly 20% water changes as my ram loves clean water.

I DID have a big BB, cleared up after a major 50% WC. I added some stress coat as well and a mechanical filter. A lot of the strands cleared up and went away. I also added some live hornroot(?) plants that float along the top, my lfs guy said it wouldnt be a bad idea, and my ram likes shade.

So what was this stuff? Someone suggested that it may have been the slimecoat from my fish?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Looks very much like fish coating with some brown algae.

As for your light - it is the wrong color temperature and may be causing algae issues. A standard 120 volt bulb is very yellow - ideal for algae, very poor for plants. When you say 10-12 hours and more, that is far too much light duration. Your tank size? Is the 150 watt bulb a single or dual bulbs? If dual bulbs, are they 150 each or is it the sum?

Regardless, you should get a CFL bulb(s) with the correct color spectrum (temp.) Without CO2 or ferts, you should have no more than 2 watts/gal intensity.

They sell specific aquarium plants CFL's (with screw in bulbs) on line at:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....erCompact.html

Or, get a unit(s) from the hardware store - they should carry 6500 K (temp)