· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default A little scared.... though could be my imagination

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes the internet is my worst enemy when it comes to health issues. I am in panic mode right now with being convinced my Pleco has a fatal disease or condition. I just feel like he is acting strangely today. He has been attaching to the side of the tank with his head toward the gravel and moving upwards slowly then will scoot back down as if to correct himself (he has never done this, usually he slides down, and he has never faced head down). He also "slides" up when attached the normal way (head towards the surface of the water). His fins appear to be balancing him as if he is making an effort to stay in one place (like someone on a tight rope would use his arms to keep balance) when he is on a rock or in the gravel. It just looks like he is making a HUGE effort not to float up at some moments and at others he seems fine. He looks slightly bloated, but then again super paranoid so could just be my eyes making it up. I am mainly worried that he is having a hard time staying at the bottom of the tank. I feel like he could be using objects in the tank to stay down, but he is not lethargic, or breathing fast, or pale looking. (I did see that awful picture of the sick pleco on here back from 2008 and him getting that worries me terribly and now that is what I am so scared of) He has been also putting out his dorsal fin (but I read that is to catch currents?) which he hasnt done very often since we got him. Is he acting normal and am I being an over worried fish mama? or could he be dying??? If he is dying I am going to cry so hard (not even kidding if he is dying I will be having a candle light vigil)....I love my "little" Pleco. (dont worry I know he wont stay little)

0 Not allowed!
    Let's try not to get to dramatic here nor worry about things that may never happen. Give your pleco a clean home free of toxins, driftwood for his diet, make sure he has enough food and a large enough tank and what will happen, will happen.

0 Not allowed!
    We've all been there. My advice is to follow your instincts. Nobody knows your pets better than you do. Do you genuinely feel like something is wrong?

On Sunday night of this week my sister and I felt like one of our dogs seemed "off". There wasn't really any specific thing I could say that made me think that, it was just a feeling. On what most would probably say was a premature panic we rushed her into the 24 hour emergency vet for bloodwork. She had elevated liver and kidney enzymes. 48 hours of IV fluids, 4 xrays and 1 ultrasound later she had taken a turn for the worst and we ended up putting her down because she had an extremely aggressive cancer that had originated in the intestines and metted to many other major organs.

I'm not trying to scare you and I know that was a dog, not a fish. But if you truly feel like something is "off" with your pleco, just take some extra precautions. Keep up on your water changes, maybe log his eating habits for a little while and that way if he does suddenly show symptoms of a sickness, you're right on top of it and can get him cured.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As Lady Hobbs said, if his environment is good, maybe he's just amusing himself - my bristlenoses dont seem to care whether they're head up or down (or horizontal for that matter), and will occasionally go for a dart around the tank for no apparent reason

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Plecos are quirky fish, my common one will often balance on a rock so his mouth isn't even touching it, don't read too much into it
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    honestly it sounds like typical pleco behaviour. they love strong current and can stick or not-stick as they please. I wouldn't be worried until he turns white and floats upside down.
    Last edited by Crispy; 05-03-2012 at 01:03 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks guys. And WOAH on the dog story, that had to be scary. I recently went through an emergancy with one of my cats and if I hadnt taken him in he would have died 24-36 hours. I am keeping an eye on him, thats all I can really do as far as I know. I dont know he just doesnt seem like himself. But you never know. He could just be acting like a wierdo. Will keep you posted

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My spouse has a seven inch pleco, the tan-ish one with spots, that stays in the same spot, head down and tail up from dawn 'til dusk. About 14 hours yesterday. Never moves in the daylight except when disturbed.

9. Default Did he make it?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzyuru View Post
    Sometimes the internet is my worst enemy when it comes to health issues. I am in panic mode right now with being convinced my Pleco has a fatal disease or condition. I just feel like he is acting strangely today. He has been attaching to the side of the tank with his head toward the gravel and moving upwards slowly then will scoot back down as if to correct himself (he has never done this, usually he slides down, and he has never faced head down). He also "slides" up when attached the normal way (head towards the surface of the water). His fins appear to be balancing him as if he is making an effort to stay in one place (like someone on a tight rope would use his arms to keep balance) when he is on a rock or in the gravel. It just looks like he is making a HUGE effort not to float up at some moments and at others he seems fine. He looks slightly bloated, but then again super paranoid so could just be my eyes making it up. I am mainly worried that he is having a hard time staying at the bottom of the tank. I feel like he could be using objects in the tank to stay down, but he is not lethargic, or breathing fast, or pale looking. (I did see that awful picture of the sick pleco on here back from 2008 and him getting that worries me terribly and now that is what I am so scared of) He has been also putting out his dorsal fin (but I read that is to catch currents?) which he hasnt done very often since we got him. Is he acting normal and am I being an over worried fish mama? or could he be dying??? If he is dying I am going to cry so hard (not even kidding if he is dying I will be having a candle light vigil)....I love my "little" Pleco. (dont worry I know he wont stay little)
    Hi there,

I know your post was over a year ago, but my 3" common pleco had the same behavior yesterday and passed today. Water tested fine. No signs of stress, bullying, ich, fin rot, or malnutrition. He had hiding spots and driftwood and a diverse diet of algae pellets, flake food, blood worms, and veggies. I thought it was strange when he had all fins erect and looked alive, but hadn't moved from under the current for a while. He was not floating and eyes were clear, so I thought he was still alive. But when I decided to quarantine him, he did not move when the net came toward him, he was caught, or pulled out of the water. It was like pulling out a figurine or a pleco. Stiff and strange....and sad of course.

I don't say this to traumatize you or seek pity -- My question is, did you do something to allow your pleco with strange behavior to survive or did your pleco pass as well? All my other fish are healthy with no similar behavior. I have done a partial water change with drops to assist healing and fungal , ammonia, and disease removal after his passing. Could it have been a strange form of dropsy in a pleco? Even though there was no bloat or bulging, I just can't explain the behavior. I have never seen a fish die and look stiff and alive on the bottom of a tank.

I ask because I want to learn from my presently unknown mistake to assure the survival of the others. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hannah

0 Not allowed!
    hgsunshin86, please do not post in threads that are almost a year and a half old. The OP has long since moved on.
    Last edited by KingFisher; 10-18-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1