· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    After you get the air stone I would get the cory numbers back up and leave it for a while and see how it goes. What is the footprint of this tank?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    13 by 13 by 24

my two favorites in my life.

0 Not allowed!
    My next thought is why would the oxygen be the problem becuase cory cats, gourami's, and betta's call all breathe air. However, I also thing the acute signs were there becasue the gourami began hanging at the top more, and the cory cats began swimming up to the top a lot more than normal. I think we have a suspect. I am going to investigate the oxygen levels. Other than this any other possible suspects.

Mommy 1 it has been a long time since we chatted on here.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Octo
    Cory's can breath air when necessary but they usually only do it when necessary. There may have been some aggression between the betta and gourami that you didn't witness. It's not normal for them to get along, not to say it can't happen, just not the norm.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    yes there may have been between the betta and gourami that was not witnessed. However would you rule out this tank problem to the oxygen or no. Also can you help stock this tank for my girlfriend she is open to suggestions.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I think it's a bit of both, aggression and the oxygen issue. 13x13 is a bit small for all but the smaller cory species. If it is one of the smaller species I would up the cory number to 5 and leave it at that for a while so the beneficial bacteria can catch up to the bio-load. If it isn't one of the smaller species I would rehome it. You could also look into some of the smaller tetra species like glowlight tetra and get a small school of those, or some celestial pearl danios. What ever you add, add slowly so you don't upset the balance of the tank too much.

0 Not allowed!
    they are peppered/pygmy cory hybrids yeah I am not sure what she is going to do stocking wise. Well the beta died and we did add an airstone and everything so we dont know what it is the tank checks out fine absolutely fine. No clue what is happening. Took the water to the lfs and they said there is no problem with the water.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, all the fish died now, so we took a water sample to the LFS and they said nothing was wrong with the water. We put two Airstones in the water 2 days before the last fish died and changed over 50% of the water. It was dechlorinated yes. The tank was cycled. I am completely stumped, and none of the fish looked sick WHATSOEVER? ANYONE?

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    First off, in a small tank, nitrites and/or ammonia can spike and later, the filter catches up and these measure zero. Also, fish can be injured and quickly die. Second, could be stock issues. Finally, if they were injured due to low oxygen, adding it later might not save them. These are just guessing, of course.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by octoxpuss
    Well, all the fish died now, so we took a water sample to the LFS and they said nothing was wrong with the water. We put two Airstones in the water 2 days before the last fish died and changed over 50% of the water. It was dechlorinated yes. The tank was cycled. I am completely stumped, and none of the fish looked sick WHATSOEVER? ANYONE?
    Hate to say it - LFS's are famous for telling people their water parameters are FINE - even people who just set up their tank 1 hr ago and haven't put fish in yet - they will have readings of all 0's (which is an uncycled tank). I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet but has anyone suggested you getting your own liquid test kit so you don't have to keep bringing water samples with you?

How do you know for sure your tank was cycled? Did you ask the LFS what the readings were? They should be able to tell you you have no ammonia, no nitrites & 20ppm or less nitates unless their strips aren't that accurate. Also, many fish stores (my local ones included) will tell you that an ammonia level of up to 1.0ppm is FINE - it isn't!!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in