I say try it, Zander. I know everyone has wigged out and are telling you that you if you put it in your tank, your fish and all its inhabitants are doomed. But I say give it a try!

After realizing how hardened and waterlogged beaver sticks can be (while keeping a light color), I tried a similar method for some wood in my tanks. I've actually done a lot of brush clearing and tree removal over the years. This past year I pushed over a couple of sweetgum trees with a tractor. This left their root systems exposed and looked like they would make awesome wood for a tank. So what did I do? I threw it in the lake, let it sink over the next couple of days, then removed all the bark, and let it sit a few more days. I will warn that fresh-cut "green" wood will get a slime over it in a few days in the water, and for some reason daphnia swarm around it. So when soaking, let that slime go away before putting it in your tank. It sounds like you've already soaked it (and boiled it) long enough to where you shouldn't have that slimey film come back.

I'm not going to tell you to ignore the advice you've gotten here because these guys and gals really know their stuff. I also don't want you to lose your fish. But you've got to think: Are all things is nature going to kill off things in aquaria? "Don't collect rocks/wood/plants/bugs/sand/etc from the wild or else they kill everything in your tank!" Don't buy into easily. Give 'er a try. If it works out - you have a nice looking aqaurium with wood that you found and treated to make your tank look nice. If it doesn't work out and you have a tank full of dead fish (not likely), then poke your dead fish in the soil next to your favorite house plant, veggie plant, or whatever let your failed experiment make you some giant tomatoes!