· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Oops, impulse buy

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there,

I recently saw the most beautiful little Oscar at my LFS figuring I could just keep it in one of my 4 tanks. Now a month later I have downgraded to 3 tanks (600l Malawi, 600l Reef and a 200l community) my Oscar is in the little community tank but is growing fast and is going to need a new home. Unfortunately I have fallen in love with this little guy as he has the best personality, eating from my hand, watching me when I move around the tank; so I cant give him away. That means getting ANOTHER tank!

Moral of the story, impluse buys can cost a lot more than you think

0 Not allowed!
    Never a good thing to do. You need to walk away when you see a fish you want and don't have a tank for it. Oscars should have a 75 for themselves.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Never a good thing to do. You need to walk away when you see a fish you want and don't have a tank for it. Oscars should have a 75 for themselves.
    Thanks @Lady Hobbs, I don't mind having another tank for my Oscar but yes I agree, impulse buys should not be allowed! I think you should have to go through some screening process before you are allowed to buy any fish. That could save the lives of many fish. When I was new to the hobby I purchased a Clown Knife thinking it would look fantastic in my little community tank, only to wake up the next day with no more community! I can't tell you how many people I have intercepted at the LFS in my area because they clearly had no clue about the fish they were about to purchase.

0 Not allowed!
    You're not the only one. I think of lot of people walk into a fish store and do "1 of this, 3 of that, 8 of that" and end up with goldfish, bala sharks, guppies and mbuna all in the same tank.......generally a 10 gallon. :)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would love to get an Oscar. The LFS has some beautiful long fin ones. Unfortunately, I don't have the tank space for one so now I close my eyes and walk past their tank. LOL!!
    ~Col~

4 ft 60g FW: 2 angels, 4 blind cave, 1 whiteskirt, 4 gold widows, 6 serpaes, 1 neonhead apisto, 4 clown loaches, 4 albino cory, 2 bronze corys & 3 BN plecos.
    23g FW: 1 neonhead apisto, 1 yoyo, 2 albino BN plecos & 4 pepper cory
    5.5g: Crowntail Betta, 6 black Khuli's & RCS
    5 g: Crowntail Betta, 1 albino cory (Quasi), 4 baby khuli's & RCS
    7 g: Dragontail Betta & 2 albino cory
    3ft Axi tank: 1 black, 1 gold - 1 redcap oranda & 2 albino cory

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I think the worst impulse buy fish are;

Oscars
    Clown Loaches
    Bala Sharks

They are all so cute and quirky whent small, then 12inches later you realise it was a mistake
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    You're not the only one. I think of lot of people walk into a fish store and do "1 of this, 3 of that, 8 of that" and end up with goldfish, bala sharks, guppies and mbuna all in the same tank.......generally a 10 gallon. :)
    Haha that would be an interesting tank