· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Are fish parasites contagious to humans?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, at the risk of sounding like a complete nut.....

Are the parasites that can infect and afflict freshwater fish contagious to humans?

If yes, which ones?

How do you protect yourself from them?

Maybe a bit paranoid here----even obsessive compulsive perhaps,....but pretty particular about being really neat and clean and washing hands in our house. For some dumb reason though, I never thought of anything in the aquarium being contagious or harmful to humans until recently. Though we wash hands after doing anything in the aquarium, not always immediately and haven't been especially careful about it----like careful not to use a hand with open wound, not touch face or eyes afterwards, dump buckets in toilet but use kitchen sink to refill and wash equipment, etc. And probably even worse, though was really grossed out from the fear of a mouthful of fish water, I used mouth to start siphon, until bought a little hand squeezed pump.

Research on internet seems that aquarium fish should be handled with same rules as cooking raw fish. Even read somewhere that suggested to wear really long gloves. But haven't yet found any specific indication of parasites contagious to humans. Am I being paranoid or is there valid reason for concern on this topic?

Anyone with experience or knowledge to share on this topic???
    Last edited by WendysWorld; 05-01-2012 at 03:41 AM.
    50 gal - finally fish! 11 pangio kuhli loaches, 10 neon tetras, 4 zebra danios, 3 cherry barbs, 3 guppies
    10 gal - temporarily closed
    5 gal - temporarily closed

Proverbs 11:14 & 15:22 -- Thanks for your help!

0 Not allowed!
    Nope. Humans don't get ick, fish lice, anchor worms. LOL

You can get TB from fish but I don't want to start a panic attack here. It is not like human TB. It is simply infection if you happen to have a cut on your hands or arms.........and of course fish with TB.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Just be careful to wash your hands before and after you stick them in your tank and you will not have to worry about anything being contagious. I have kept fish for many years and am constantly sticking my bare hands in their tanks and have never "caught" anything from the fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, that is good news to say the least. But seriously, I am a bit paranoid about this. There isn't any kind of worms or parasites such as round worms, tapeworms, flukeworms, etc that can enter, a human eye or mouth, for example? ---- other than the TB you mention??

I know must sound paranoid, but I really hate to have to go to a doctor here. And with all the dirty water/mulm I dumped into my aquarium and now the fish illnesses and unexplained deaths, and a new personal symptom in myself recently starting........a bit worried. If do have to go to doctor for this recent problem, I don't want to have to explain have an aquarium if don't need to.

And no offense intended absolutely, Lady Hobbs. Very grateful you replied----thank you. But curious how is it you could reply so fast living in Cadillac Michigan when it is 6:00 am in the morning here? Must be middle of night there!! Of course, you don't need to answer that. Just didn't expect anyone from that region of USA to reply!
    Last edited by WendysWorld; 05-01-2012 at 03:59 AM.
    50 gal - finally fish! 11 pangio kuhli loaches, 10 neon tetras, 4 zebra danios, 3 cherry barbs, 3 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    Midnite here. I often don't hit the sack before 3 AM. Sometimes not at all.

0 Not allowed!
    I wear large animal ob sleeve gloves (2 pair) when putting my hands in the tank.

http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/produc...FQJp4AodSjfvDA

Better to be safe than sorry.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    LOL! I'm still up too, Lady Hobbs. Bad storms in Ky tonight.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Lady Hobbs never rests while aquarium questions sit unanswered!

...I should go to bed.

Before I go, though, one more vote for "I stick my hands in my tanks all the time and I've never had any problems". Sometimes the fish nibble on my arm hair or try to bite my freckles.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs

I wondered why you were able to reply to me several times when I had been up all night handling fish problems! I knew it would be middle of night for most people in USA, yet you answered several times! Thank goodness for storms and people like you to help folks on other side of world!

Well.....add gloves to the list of items to buy someday. In meantime, I'll research the TB thing and decide if will mention it to the doctor or not.

Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    OH NO. I knew I should not have mentioned the TB thing! Simply wash your hands before and after putting them in the tank (I always forget the before part) and don't put your hands in the tank if you have a big cut on your hand. But since your fish don't have TB, you don't have a problem.
    http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

(I don't sleep much. I don't sit here all night but I check in and out for spammers.)