· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Cleanings

1. Exclamation Cleanings

0 Not allowed!
    Hi!
    I own a 5 gallon tank with two mollies in it, and the water is pretty murky. Here is a list of things I have in my tank;
    -- Submersible heater - 2-15 gallon size
    -- SmallWorld Pump and Filter Kit
    -- 2 silk plants
    -- Cave
    -- White aquarium gravel
    -- 3 Rocks *biggest one is 2 inches across and 1 inch wide*
    I am a teacher, so I can not come home at/during lunch hour to preform a feeding/water change/matinence. I feed 2x per day. Here is the feeding schedule;
    Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday;

7:30 am - Feed goldfish flakes
    4:30 pm - Feed goldfish flakes
    Monday;

New Algae Wafer in tank

Wednesday;

7:30 am - Feed goldfish flakes
    4:30 pm - Feed Freeze-Dried bloodworms

Saturday;

Fasting day

Should I change how much I feed them?
    Please, if you can, give me a *decent* schedule for filter media changes, water changes, gravel cleaning, in-tank matinence, etc.

Thank-You SOOOOOOOOOO much!!
    Missy and Domino!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    First - is this tank cycled? If not, you need to be doing frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite minimized. Once the tank is cycled:

Water changes: Most of us here recommend weekly water changes of 50% or more, although mollies are pretty big for a 5 gallon tank so you might need to do it more often than that. Gravel cleaning requirements well depend on how dirty your gravel is getting. Some people do it every other water change, or clean half the tank per water change. Keep an eye on nitrates. If they're getting high (0-20 good, 20-40 okay, 40+ needs improvement!) you're either not changing enough water or leaving too much waste lying around.

Filter Maintenance: A fair bit depends on the design of the filter and I'm not familiar with yours. You want to avoid changing filter media as much as possible because you throw out beneficial bacteria when you do that. All filters should have a sponge of some sort that acts as a mechanical filter (catches all the free-floating debris). If this part gets gunky, you can rinse it out in the used tank water you're taking out during a water change.

Food: You should be feeding your fish no more than what they can eat in a few minutes. Anything more than that and you're overfeeding and polluting the tank. One thing that stuck out for me is the algae wafer. You say you add a "new" one on mondays. The implication I got from that is that when you add one it stays in the tank for at least a couple days. If so, that may be contributing to the water cloudiness. You might try breaking up the algae wafers and just feeding part of one. If it's sitting around for more than a couple hours it's probably still more than they need.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

3. Arrow At Brhino

0 Not allowed!
    Question --
    Is this tank cycled?
    Answer --
    Yes, I did cycle it.

The ammonia was 0ppm, nitrite was 0ppm and nitrate was 0.5 ppm yesterday. I will break up the algae wafers now and put half of one (or whatever they will eat) in on Sundays. I think I will do a 60% water change every week, cleaning half of the gravel every water change. The filter package said to change the filter cartridge every 2-4 weeks, so do I follow the directions, or leave the current one in? Ps the current one is VERY hard to get clean, I have tried about 23 times and it is still yellow.
    Just another question, how do you do your water changes? I want to put the least amount of stress on my beloved fish during water changes and matinence, how would you reccomend doing this?
    Thanks!
    Missy and Domino!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    a good filter design will let you replace the mechanical filtration (the sponge that traps the debris) without touching the biological filtration (that houses the majority of the beneficial bacteria). Some of them, especially the smaller ones, aren't that flexible though - they just have a single insert. Don't worry if it's become discolored, that will happen and it's not going to come out. Just make sure it's not filling up with gunk. If you can keep it clean there's no need to replace it unless it's falling apart.

Here's how I do water changes on my 5.5 gallon tank:

1. Shut off filter and heater.
    2. suck out about half the water into a 5 gallon bucket with gravel vacuum
    3. dump out bucket, fill back up as needed with tap water. Match temperature of tank (gauging temperature with fingers is sufficient to match within a few degrees). Add decholorinator to bucket, let sit for a minute.
    4. Using pitcher or similar container, add water from bucket to tank.
    5. After tank is full, turn filter or heater back on.

Nothing to it!
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I dont use declorinator, i have to much water to change and would go through so much of it. I get a big bucket and a jug, put the bucket on the floor by the sink and run the water into the jug so it froths up then poar it into the bucket from a height so it froths up again, this is often enough to knock out all the chlorine as it gasses very easily. I usualy leave it in the bucket over night to gass off a bit more and warm the water but if i forget i just use water out the hot tap and make sure i really froth it up. Ive not used tapsafe in ages now and ive never had a problem with my water changes. Our lfs uses a similar method but they ave a huge backwash system as they have so much water to sort lol. Smaller, more frequent changes put less stress on the fish but once a week is usualy fine. If you google aquarium fish stocking calculator there is a website that you can put ur tank size and filter etc in and what fish u have and it works out your stocking density and how much water you need to change weekly. I use it all the time, its very useful.
    80L tank, planted natural - 7 glowlight tetra, 1 pitbull pleco, 6 male guppies, 4 bronze cory, 3 platties.

57L (i think) tank, Bamboo decorated natural- 1 Male Beta, 2 peppered Cory, 2 Bandit Cory, 1 female beta, 4 silvertip tetra.
    Both tanks linked together with a syphon system.

35L tank, planted natural - 1 male dwarf gourami, one ramshorn snail, 2 cone shaped snails.

0 Not allowed!
    You NEED declorinator to neutralize the Chlorine and Chloramine. I also think you are overfeeding which is so easy to do. A tiny bit of food once per day. I skip the odd day as well.
    Allergic to all things furry.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

Almost all RMs in Canada are now using chloramines and chlorine to treat the water supply. Chloramines will not gas off and require a good quality dechlorinator or you will loose your beneficial bacteria.

The use of Chlorimines is also spreading in the USA
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]