· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Talking New 120 Gal with dirftwood gravel and black sand.

0 Not allowed!

So this is tank that has been in storage for almost a year. I only had it running for 12 months before I shut it down, so you can imagine my frustration of not using it this past year.

So, in the last 24 hrs I've set a band of fluorite substrate with light gravel on top and areas of black sand on either end of the tank. I really wanted the focus to be on the beautiful piece of driftwood in the middle.

In the next few days I am adding more rocks to the base of the wood and tapering off out to either side. I've got some java fern that can grow on the wood and a propagating banana plant but I'm still looking for other plants to add. I am also going to cover that window.

This is going to be an angelfish or discus tank... I think but I wanted to tap into some great minds and see if anyone had any input for the direction of this tank.

I appreciate the feedback!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stats:
    120 Gallon
    5 ft wide, 2 ft tall and 18" across
    2 Magnum 350 canister filters
    (1st Filter) 4 Bio-wheel Pro 30's, Pro-biotic canister medium (gravel)
    (2nd Filter) Gamma U.V. 15W sterilizer, Activated charcoal medium
    Glo dual T5 48" 2X54w
    2 LED Stunner strips

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Saw it is your 1st post so welcome to the forum

Discus are a big commitment, they need very good water but the return is that you have thee most beautifull FW fish there is In that size of tank you could keep 6-8 of them.

Angels are another great fish

I personally quite like cichlids, I would have severums, firemouths and maybe an oscar in there. Also if they allowed it a larger Pleco species or a more predatory catfish . . . . . . *Dreaming*******

Oops, sorry zoned out there imagining all they cichlids you certainly have a whole bag of options thanks to your larger tank size
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It is cool to be posting. I've referenced the site for a while.

I like cichlids a lot but I've got a small 5 gal seed tank to keep cycle material and some plants going. Right now it just has 6 neon tetras and a snail.

I kinda want to keep the little guys for working for me but then again some larger fish would be a cool change of pace. A big catfish would also be awesome. Hmmm, I guess this why I wanted to share. So many options!

This is my little "pond bucket" tank.

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum :-D ... Just one comment: AHEM... .. Just saying.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Let me try this again... These are the visual aids I tried to include

[img=http://s13.postimage.org/449lpnf7n/Small_Tank.jpg]

[img=http://s13.postimage.org/oq3j8wfr7/New_Tank.jpg]
    Last edited by MountainMan; 04-30-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    looks like a good start! I would suggest you cover the bank of the tank - otherwise if that window gets any direct sunlight you're going to have issues with algae and temperature swings.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

7. Default Algae Prevention

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, algae blooms are no fun. I covered the window and the back of the tank so I should be ok. I'm still missing two LED Strips and some big rocks but the other tank has some of what I need. I tested the water and the filters are already seeded so my levels are looking good. I'm itching to add my tiny tank and see some activity.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    looks great! can't wait to see it when it's done and full of life.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Just looking at that tank screams oscars and severums to me
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is looking good so far! Discus would look Great in there and Member Cermet on this Forum is a Discus man so you could talk to him on the Pros and Cons before you make a decision.