· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Agressive Danio?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all! So i have been doing A LOT of reading here and am trying to soak up as much knowledge as i can because i have just recently joined this awesome hobby and am loving it already! Anywho, i had a question about my danios. So i had 3 danios in my 45Gal tank to start cycling and the Ammonia just went nowhere at all over a weeks time. So i decided to add 3 more. One is quite a bit bigger than the rest. He/she must be much older. I'm sure its a leapard danio just like the rest because he/she looks exactly the same just bigger and has a bit more rounded belly. The problem im having is he/she is like chasing the others around nipping at their tails..... is this normal? Is he/she trying to show his/her dominance? Are they just playing tag? I am just a bit worried that he/she is making the others feel a bit uncomfortable. The others just swim together in two little schools for the most part. Sometimes they all school together but then the big one goes back to chasing them around.

0 Not allowed!
    That's pretty much typical danio behaviour. Most of those schooling types of fish will have a couple of bullies at times, and the bullying will become more noticable if the school is very small. When it comes to schooling fish, the bigger the school, the better. It's basically a strength in numbers thing. If you have 3 danios, they can be a bit skittish and shy - but you increase that school to 15 or 20 and they'll get brave and want to come out and school together. A lot of the time the bullying can be stopped by simply adding to the school, and if the bully doesn't settle down completely, at least the bullying will be shared among 15 or 20 fishes, instead of just the 1 or 2.

And speaking of adding to the school, I would probably add another 6 or 8 again. 6 danios to cycle a 45g tank will take forever. 6 is about what I would put in a 20g tank.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark