· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New fish=aggressive play

0 Not allowed!
    I am fairly new to the aquarium world; I just cycled my tank maybe a month ago. Anyway, I have a 10g freshwater tank that has had a platy and a molly (and a hatchetfish that died about a week ago). Today I purchased another platy, a snail and some live plants and, ever since the additions, the existing platy has been acting aggressive toward the new one. Is this normal for a platy? If so, will it possibly go away?

By the way, my levels are all normal so, besides adding the plants, snail and platy and doing a partial water change today, they shouldn't be under any crazy amount of stress. I am, however, treating the tank with ich medication as a precaution because my hatchetfish had it but I only have a few more days of treatment left and none of the fish are experiencing any symptoms.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you've got a male and a female, and the male is hassling the female.

On a seperate note; mollies and platys are messy fish, so for a 10g toxins like ammonia could build up quickly, keep up on your water changes
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    Sounds like you've got a male and a female, and the male is hassling the female.

On a seperate note; mollies and platys are messy fish, so for a 10g toxins like ammonia could build up quickly, keep up on your water changes
    Pardon my ignorance but could this be temporary or would it be wise to replace the new platy?

I am on top of water changes like....butter on toast? Lol I test and change weekly and vacuum ever other week right now. I'm hoping the live plants will also help me keep things regulated. I plan on upgrading to at least a 50g in the fall.

EDIT: Should mention I am doing small water changes every other day while on the ich meds.

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Click here to see how to sex your live bearers.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Males are persistent, very persistent. They are advised to be kept in a ratio of 1m 3f, this spreads the males attention. A 10g is too small for 4 platies/mollies I think, so maybe until you get a 50g rehome them all (after free of ich) and stock smaller fish? 1 betta? Or 10 white cloud minnows, or micro rasbora. They are a less of a strain on filter and not so messy, will be less hassle and shall lessen the chances of an ammonia spike. Just a suggestion
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Click here to see how to sex your live bearers.
    Yep, I have a male and a female.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    Males are persistent, very persistent. They are advised to be kept in a ratio of 1m 3f, this spreads the males attention. A 10g is too small for 4 platies/mollies I think, so maybe until you get a 50g rehome them all (after free of ich) and stock smaller fish? 1 betta? Or 10 white cloud minnows, or micro rasbora. They are a less of a strain on filter and not so messy, will be less hassle and shall lessen the chances of an ammonia spike. Just a suggestion
    Easier said than done. I don't exactly have a bunch of people to rehouse these fish. I'll most likely have to stay with what I have for now, although I may be able to trade the new platy in for a male.

0 Not allowed!
    If you can do that it would be great. I just purchased 4 platys - 1 male & 3 females. When I was in the store, I asked the employee "Do you know how to sex them? And how many males are in the tank?" She could see a few of them.

It's wise before purchasing fish to know whether you need to be careful in sexing them - sometimes a male needs a few females, sometimes a fish needs to be alone, sometimes a few males is fine - there are territorial fish & those who look to mate all the time ; )
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies