· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: water chemistry

1. Default water chemistry

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, I just found out the things that are in my water supply from the town but I know nothing as to harm or not as far as fish go. I have Sodium hypochlorite, Sodium Flouride and Orthophosphate. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of them or even if they are or are not harmful?...Thanks...much appreciated :)

0 Not allowed!
    Sodium hypochlorite is a disinfectant, and one of the forms in which chlorine is added to the water supply. A decent de-chlorinator/water ager should get rid of that.
    Sodium Flouride is added to prevent flouride defficiency in poeple, and from what I understand, is harmless to fish.
    Orthophosphate is added to prevent corrosion of the water pipes, but is a food-grade chemical and is harmless to fish in the small doses. It is, however, a readily used nutrient for algae, and depending on your light and whether you use live plants, you might see some algae growth. So long as you do substantial water changes every so often and don't just top up evaporated water, you shouldn't have a problem.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thankyou, its nice to talk to someone who knows what theyre talking about. Do you know if this Sodium hypochlorite will dissappear like chlorine after about a day?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another name for Sodium Hypochlorite is bleach. Yes, it will outgas.

0 Not allowed!
    I would use prime. There could be chloramines, which don't dissipate(not for a while anyway).
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

6. Default Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzydezzy
    Sodium hypochlorite is a disinfectant, and one of the forms in which chlorine is added to the water supply. A decent de-chlorinator/water ager should get rid of that.
    Sodium Flouride is added to prevent flouride defficiency in poeple, and from what I understand, is harmless to fish.
    Orthophosphate is added to prevent corrosion of the water pipes, but is a food-grade chemical and is harmless to fish in the small doses. It is, however, a readily used nutrient for algae, and depending on your light and whether you use live plants, you might see some algae growth. So long as you do substantial water changes every so often and don't just top up evaporated water, you shouldn't have a problem.
    Thanks so much for sharing that. I was worried that that chemical would not be able to be gotten rid of cause there isnt much about getting rid of it, only adding it to the water. Thanks again :)