· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam45
    The ich seems to be falling off. there is a few dots left however they are very lively today which is good. I'm going to get quick cure at Wal-Mart right now
    This means the Ich has gone to stage two, which means it's reproducing in the gravel bed, and about to become free swimming stage again. This is when it's vulnerable to meds/treatments the most.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam45
    And the tank turned cloudy after putting them in but it wasn't a lot cloudy. just a lil. so does that mean ammonia has started the cycle?
    Very Likely, your seeing a bacterial bloom, if it's slightly white haze. So, yes, your cycle is starting.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't forget to keep treating that ich, Cam. Don't just stop when you don't see anymore spots. You need to treat for at least a further 3 days.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I have never heard of Ick medications that will harm bacteria. Ick meds are for killing parasites, not killing bacteria. Fungal medications and antibiotics will destroy bacteria, however. I vote for the Quick Cure as well after doing a large water change so no other water changes need to be done for a while.

Salt treatments/raised heat are 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons OR medication and keeping the temps are they are. Add airstones for either treatment. Remove charcoal only with the medication, not necessary with the salt.
    Formalin and malachite green products can disrupt your bioligical filter.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help. I used quick cure today and will continue to do so. the mollies have pepped up a lot but the tiger barb is still sluggish. and my ph is 8. Is that okay?

0 Not allowed!
    8's not the end of the world for the Molly's. Never kept the Barb though, but imagine would be.
    According to the inhouse link, its at the high side of the Ph scale for the Barb, but within tolerance. Should be fine.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barbs/tigerbarb.php

0 Not allowed!
    Don't be to concerned about the ph just yet, Cam. Even if you did have to adjust it a little - which quite often, if it's stable you don't have to - you're better off not to try and play with it until the ich is gone and the cycle has finished. The less you can play around with those water perameters the better. The only thing you really need to keep monitoring at this stage is your ammonia readings, and a little later on, your nitrite readings.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys! Ya'll helped a ton.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by escamosa
    Formalin and malachite green products can disrupt your bioligical filter.
    Good to know. Thanks. I keep Ick Guard here "just incase" but it's now 4 years old and I hope it's still in the cupboard 4 more years from now.

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome! And I'll second that statement, LH! I never want to see those horrible little critters ever again!