· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Thinking about restocking the 10 gallon with a Betta

0 Not allowed!
    So as some know, the 10 gallon holding pen is now relieved of the Ram Pair it was holding. I am going to restock this with an Asian theme and was seriously considering the rescue of a Betta. My wife is seriously fond of Purple toned anything, so there it is.

I know Betta can be aggressive, so would stock this small community accordingly.

My thoughts were a small school of fast swimming fish, maybe Rasbora?? and one Male Betta--with extremely long finage (so cannot keep up).

Once I then see how the male behaves with other fish, was entertaining the idea if he's mellow of adding a female. I know this will likely be a really bad idea. Most likely won't do, unless someone says they've done it many times before.

So, let me know. Any bad ideas here. Tank's a 10, fully cycled and running for over a year. Is the healthiest tank I've ever had. And if anyone has some super cool Betta Pics, please post them here. Would love to get an idea of as many types as possible.

0 Not allowed!
    Good news on the Plant front, got two of their native plants right now, already growing.
    Hygrophila corymbosa ''Stricta'' and Cyperus Helferi.

Going to use the Hygro and look into this:
    Pogostemon helferi, Java Fern, and some Crypts. Plant wise, seems this would be the way to go, outside of a Asian Floater plant.

Now for the main event, Fauna:
    Betta--Male
    School of fast Asian fish???

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd advise against adding the female, but I think if you've got a mellow male and enough hiding spots so that the fish can get away from each other, it'd be fine.

I found this video : , and all the fish seem to be fine. As long as you've got a back up plan, I don't see why not
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

0 Not allowed!
    Will look for Mr. Mild Manner when I decide to go on a rescue trip.

Always have a back up.
    Learned the hard way too often.

My tank will be a bit more densely packed in real vegetation than that one in the YouTube. Makes me a bit anxious now.

0 Not allowed!
    It will be impossible to tell if a Betta is aggressive to others or not, until they are in a tank with him. Often, that is usually much much too late.

Never house a female with a male on a permanent basis. The male will in time kill her, no matter how mild mannered he seems.

that said, there are some excellent choices for tank mates, but still, caution is advised, as even the "tried and true" Betta buddies could become Betta fodder.

Zebra danios
    Otto Cats
    Cory Cats
    Mystery Snails
    ghost shrimp
    Cherry Shrimp

Its a very short list. People have had good luck housing Harlequin Rosebara, and other tetras, while others have had them attacked. Never attempt any companion that has bright blowing fins like fancy guppies, or really fast darting fish. The Betta will go after them mercilessly, or, it will stress him like crazy.

Never ever house any type of barb in with a Betta, or known fin nippers. Betta's may be ornery, but they are slow moving and fast nippy fish will get them every time.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 10G with a beta, 5 neons and 3 corys, They get along fine and I also have the asian theme going in the tank. Looks great and Herman seems happy in there...
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari
    It will be impossible to tell if a Betta is aggressive to others or not, until they are in a tank with him. Often, that is usually much much too late.

Never house a female with a male on a permanent basis. The male will in time kill her, no matter how mild mannered he seems.

Zebra danios
    Otto Cats
    Cory Cats
    Mystery Snails
    ghost shrimp
    Cherry Shrimp
    That was the list I kept finding in my Google searches last night. With only two exceptions. Most of the time, the list didn't have Ghosties or Cherries on it. And only on a few occasions, was Rasbora on it.

I am very appreciative for yours and the other members advice on this.

@Surfdog, You have Neons in there?

I already do have some Ottos in the tank. They will probably remain, unless I see this Betta try to munch on them. I do have a tank divider for this tank, just in case; I do find the meanest, orneriest, Betta on the block.

I think I do want to try the H. Rasbora, Otto, and Betta. Female Betta, probably not; I was waiting on Tiara's input on that one, before really making a choice.

Are there any specific colors and tail morphologies that indicate a major fighting Betta, from a lesser aggressor?

0 Not allowed!
    Any type of Betta can be super aggressive, there is really no way to know. What usually makes a Betta one would purchase, such a high activity and flaring, can also be signs of aggression. You certainly don't wish to purchase the Betta that is just laying around in his container.

Shrimps are a hit or miss, some Betta eat them (mine did!). Some don't.

One recommendation I would make, is get the tank mates before you get the Betta, and give them at least a week in the tank without a Betta in it. The reason for this, is if you do the opposite, the Betta will "claim" territory first, and be less willing to "share" what he will consider his domain with an offender. If introduced second, he will likely choose territory in which the other inhabitants do not frequent. It will more likely accept what is already there, as opposed to something put in with it.

I have never seen neons in with a Betta, though I would imagine if it works as it does for the above, it would certainly showcase the neon's schooling behavior to have a slow moving predator in the tank. Neon's are very speedy, and very gentle, so may do just fine with a Betta. If you choose them, just be mindful of both parties, that the neon's aren't getting over bullied, and the Betta isn't getting over stressed by constant darting neons.

One up side I can see to that, is a lot of Betta's get "bored", and will resort to depression or tail biting. I doubt with a school of nimble tank mates, it would become bored so easily.

For female Betta in with males, the problem arises, that a male's natural behavior is after mating, to not want her around. The generally kill the females. The likelihood that they could live in harmony for an extended period of time is probably nil.
    Last edited by Tiari; 04-27-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    That seems like a good strategy for two reasons. The one you listed for adding the Betta second and that a school add and wait, would give extra time for the filter to buffer for extra load--5 would have greater impact than 1.

Depression? That might explain the behavior seen in the jar cages they tend to keep them in at big box stores.

0 Not allowed!
    Granted, my Betta experience was some twenty years ago and I am catching up on the new information about Betta and playing catch up, but here is what I have found.

There is a school of thought regarding a Betta's psychology. Originally coming from rice paddies, shallow, but extensive, they had evolved to a certain level of stimuli. Insects, water worms, and chasing such, dense plants, and other water life kept them stimulated but not overly so. In effect, their attention, even at rest was constantly occupied. Though bred in captivity, it is not only their aggressive nature, flaring and other behavior that has remained. It is thought their psychological need for stimuli has been retained.

Their stimuli needs are pretty specific, and generally all visual. Stimulus that makes them dart or hide is not good, however, bright colors or odd objects seem to be what they are after.

Many Betta owners who keep their pet in a plain unchanging environment, may find their fish listless, lethargic, refusing to eat much, and actually seeming in a state of depression. Some will become frustrated, darting the tank endlessly, blowing out fins, or biting their own tails.

What has been devised is something called "Betta Behavioral Enrichment". To do this, the suggestion is to place a rotating stock of items by the tank for a few hours a day. A brightly colored stuffed animal, a can of pringles potato chips, a bottle of laundry detergent, a funky purse, the list goes on and on. Every day, place some other odd item next to the tank for the Betta to focus on, and daresay, study. The trick, is to rotate these items out, and vary them widely.

Many Betta owners find their pet LOVES watching TV, or their laptop as they watch youtube videos.

Another tactic is to place strange but aquarium safe items in the tank, such as a ping pong ball (brightly colored is best), soft drinking straws, or a clean aquarium only rubber ducky.

The theory is, a bored Betta is an unhappy and sick Betta. Though I have no scientific data to back up weather or not this is the case, I do know, my Betta's LOVE stimuli, the brighter and more strange, the better.