· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by leaveittoweaver
    What happened in your thirty gallon is normal. I think you may have just had an ammonia bloom from adding new fish.

I would stop moving fish around. It has to be really stressful on them going from one tank's conditions to the next.
    Big +1 to above and Lady Hobbs. Though it's hard to tell, without fully knowing how long the 30 was up and the history of tests.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    leaveittoweaver - thanks for the response.
    I wish that was the case with the 30 - but it's in a long nitrite spike right now - has been going on for over 10 days, so the tank had not been fully cycled before. Once this nitrite spike is over and I see some nitrates I will figure it's finally cycled. Only then will I add more fish - and even then very carefully.

I moved the guppies only once - but I agree. it was mostly likely stressful for them.
    The gourami, however, was clearly in trouble. He appeared to be dying. I felt I had to do something and I'm glad I did because he's fine now.
    Only time will tell if he stays that way.
    thanks
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie
    leaveittoweaver - thanks for the response.
    I wish that was the case with the 30 - but it's in a long nitrite spike right now - has been going on for over 10 days, so the tank had not been fully cycled before. Once this nitrite spike is over and I see some nitrates I will figure it's finally cycled. Only then will I add more fish - and even then very carefully.

I moved the guppies only once - but I agree. it was mostly likely stressful for them.
    The gourami, however, was clearly in trouble. He appeared to be dying. I felt I had to do something and I'm glad I did because he's fine now.
    Only time will tell if he stays that way.
    thanks
    Cycling with fish takes a lot of time. But I think moving the fish once you've started the cycle to another uncycled tank does more harm than good. What are the current water parameters for your 30 gallon? The gourami may have gotten better because the water parameters weren't so bad in the 5 gallon as the 30. If your Nitrite or your Ammonia are really high, I might use something like Amquel Ammonia Detoxifier. It's the only thing I know of personally that doesn't mess with the cycle. Although I believe Seachem Prime does the same, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck with your tanks and keep up with the water changes so it doesn't get too toxic in there! :D
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the 30 gal has been spiking nitrites and ammonia for over 10 days now. I'm sure that's why the gourami got so stressed and it's the reason I moved him - because I knew I had no nitrites and little ammonia in the 5 gal. I honestly think the move saved him and I love that little guy.
    I'm working hard on the 30 to keep things in check with frequent W/C but every 3 - 4 days both the ammonia and nitrites are back up to .5. Hopefully I won't have much more than a week of this and the cycle will finally be done. When all is at 0/0/0 I'll make sure it's stable for a few days then I'll move the gourami back to the 30.
    thanks for the good wishes and advice.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Of course fish get stressed - they are being posioned! Moving fish to another uncycled tank is pointless - they will very soon be posioned in that tank too.

If you have a tank full of fish and are forced to cycle, then very large water changes are the ONLY method that works! I know, because I had to do it with a tank full of young discus.

Besides, the fish waste will feed the filter bacteria and no matter how hard you try, you will never beable to get the toxins down to zero - I did twice daily 90% water changes and still cycled the tank in under six weeks (normal time.)

Measure ammonia and nitrItes and keep them low (under 1 ppm ammonia and 0.3 ppm nitrItes.) Aim to lower the nitrites to a safer level because this is the most harmful waste, by far.

Ten days is just the start - rarely does one get a filter to cycle in under four weeks - sorry but bacteria have their own rules. Higher ammonia does not help and can slow the growth of the nitrite consuming bacteria.

A tank will NEVER have zero nitrAtes in an aquarium with fish unless you remove all the water and replace it with water that has no nitrAtes. You want zero ammonia and nitrItes; then the cycle will be done. Nitrates are the fianl product and are only removed by water changes.

You need to read and understand how to do a fish based cycle, because details are everything.

By the way, unless the 5 gal has a active fully cycled filter, then the 5 gal will crash in no time - watch that tank like a hawk and change 4 gallons every day. That will keep the fish healthy.

With no fish in the 30 gal, you need to dose ammonia or no cycle will occur and any current bacteria will die. Read the fishless cycling for that information.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by Cermet; 04-27-2012 at 12:04 AM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    Measure ammonia and nitrItes and keep them low (under 1 ppm ammonia and 0.3 ppm nitrItes.) Aim to lower the nitrites to a safer level because this is the most harmful waste, by far.
    I measure this daily. I change water religiously when ammonia and or nitrites hit .5

Ten days is just the start - rarely does one get a filter to cycle in under four weeks - sorry but bacteria have their own rules. Higher ammonia does not help and can slow the growth of the nitrite consuming bacteria.
    Cermet - I have been working to get this tank cycled since feb 4th. It's only the last 10 days that I've finally seen nitrites. that's why I'm hoping the end is near. I've done a lot of things wrong (and have learned much from this forum) but water changes hasn't been one of them. I've done tons of water changes

You need to read and understand how to do a fish based cycle, because details are everything.
    I understand it now but came to the hobby ignorant. You will never know how much I regret that. Now I'm just trying to keep the fish healthy -

By the way, unless the 5 gal has a active fully cycled filter, then the 5 gal will crash in no time - watch that tank like a hawk and change 4 gallons every day. That will keep the fish healthy.
    again - I check it daily. do W/C when ammonia hits .5

With no fish in the 30 gal, you need to dose ammonia or no cycle will occur and any current bacteria will die. Read the fishless cycling for that information. Next tank WILL be cycled fishless. have learned that lesson X 10

Best of luck.
    thanks
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx