· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mbunas breeding...

0 Not allowed!
    ok so ive noticed some strange behavior in my zebras in the mbuna tank lately and sure enough, when rearranging my caves for a new addition, i saw 2 itty bitty fry swimmin around. my question is what in the world do i do with the fry to come? leave them in the tank to be eaten? i have a green terror but im not sure if they take feeder fish. should i take them out and maybe get a 20-29 gallon as a fry tank? i would probably sell these fry back to my lfs for some store credit or something. any feedback is appreciated, i have no clue about breeding/raising fry.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    ive done some reading and ive decided ill be buying a 20 gallon long, setting it up with some caves and whatnot. maybe a fluval c2 for filtration? looking for some suggestions on fry tank set up. i will be letting the female hold the fry for 20 days or so, then stripping the fry into the 20 gallon. is this acceptable?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would put a sponge over the filter intake. When you strip the fish make sure the fry are able to swim or you will need to put them in a tumbler until they can.

0 Not allowed!
    what if i were to create a breeding colony? with say a 30 gallon long for the colony, and maybe a 10 tall and 20 long for fry/growout tanks.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For mbuna I would recommend a tank at least 4ft in length. For raising the fry the 10gal and a 20 long could work. Keep in mind that you will have to keep different size fry away from each other.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by deathtroll
    For mbuna I would recommend a tank at least 4ft in length. For raising the fry the 10gal and a 20 long could work. Keep in mind that you will have to keep different size fry away from each other.
    +1
    I have a 10g as my grow out tank. But you have to be careful when you have different sized fry in there. The larger will kill the smaller fry. I'm debating on getting another tank for mid to large size fry myself. Fyi one they start breeding they breed like rabbits usually.

0 Not allowed!
    i am either going to go with a 30 tall or 40 long for the breeder tank. i am also going to be cleaning out my 10 gallon and repurposing it for use as a fry tank. i will be adding the 20 gallon growout tank as i get deeper into the hobby of breeding, for now we'll just have to see how this goes.

0 Not allowed!
    any suggestions on what would be the best choice between 30 wide(wide not tall) and a 40 long for a breeding colony.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you would be ok with either tank depending on the space you have available but given the choice I would go with the 40 long.
    Follow Me On Pinterst

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    40 long is what i would get allso.