· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default 45 gallon stocking

0 Not allowed!
    I am currently in the position to move the fish in my 45 gallon tank to a more appropriate home, giving myself the chance to re stock my tank. I am looking for one or two fish to live in the tank, ones that can be permanent residents in 45 gallons of water. I am looking for fish that will get big (big for a 45 gallon). If anyone has any suggestions they would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    45 gallon: 1 Blood Parrot, 2 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Panda Flavatra, 1 Clown Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    If you're willing to put some time and effort into it, and you do your research/ask heaps of questions about them, I think that Discus look great in a tank of around that size. I've never kept them, but I've seen plenty of them in tanks ranging from 40g to 75g, and they look amazing. I believe they can be very sensitive, and take some work to make sure everything is as close to perfect as possible, but personally, I'd love to have a shot at them one day!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    As escamosa said discus are nice, however you could only really keep a mated pair, and discus require lotsa work.

IMO better fish to look at would be a severum (I keep 1 in a 48g). Firemouths get to 6inches, blood parrots, and for bottom dwellers you could have a larger pleco, and Synodontis eupterus (featherfin squeaker), or else another fish I've got that reaches 8inch is an African dwarf giraffe catfish
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was just at my LFS, they brought in like 15 discus and there are several firemouths. Definitely going to be a tough decision, thanks a lot for your ideas!
    45 gallon: 1 Blood Parrot, 2 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Panda Flavatra, 1 Clown Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    Is this aquarium 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 19 (Inches)?

It is hard to recommend fish without some ideas of the type of fish you like. I mean, you could do:
    4 African Leaf fish, and a pair of kribensis... or
    some Tanganyika fish or...
    4 Firemouths and an angel or.......
    some fantail Goldfish.....

Anyway, my point is there are plenty of fish in the sea... or lakes and rivers . You should go to your LFS and write down the name of some fish you like (and possibly don't like), do a little research on feasibility and then post the fish names on here. It will help us recommend fish.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    If you must have a discus, here is the best way minimize the worst risks.

It is possible to keep one large adult discus in a 45 gal. Do not make a mistake and get two to four - you'll regret it and will watch as the weakness discus will be slowly killed - then the next, and so on.

Having one, while not good for the fish, it should survive ok (not always but if you do what I suggest, the odds are good it will live long.)

With just one in a 46 gal, then you'd then have a lot of room for a large school of cardinals and ten Sterba's Corys (both types can handle the discus high temps.)

That said, discus do poorly alone but less than six is asking for them to slowly kill each other (seen it happen and it isn't nice.)

Discus like soft water but they can adjust. Ditto on acidic water. Yet all the fish I've suggested like soft and acidic but they can adjust; however, they can not handle water with nitrates above 5 ppm long term and prefer lower. Hence weekly 50 - 75% water changes are a min. and they'd be better with two a week. Also, discus require a very high end diet (costly pellets and frozen (never live) worms every so often. Brine shrimp are good but a low quality diet so feed rarely. Twice daily feedings are required.

I'd suggest some wood and plants (long types of plants like vals, not bushy or a lot of ones with leaves.) Any substrate works for discus but corys require sand. The plants MUST be warm water tolerant (plant places sell special one for discus tanks.)

Discus are highly intelligent and very aware animals and you need to provide this 'filled' environment to help the fish handle the tank environment alone.

Discus require no lower than 82 F and should be kept at 84 -
    87 F. Never mix with angels for a long list of reasons.

My best take on what the experts and some of my own experience has taught me.