· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Adding more gouramis? -need advice

0 Not allowed!
    I am new to the aquarium world and I'm trying to do as much research as I can. A few months ago I got a 29g tank and only had 5 danios (two zebra and 3 leopard) for a long time, to get the cycle going. I have two mopani logs (which horribly stained my water, still dealing with that), a live rock, and about 7-10 plants. About a week ago I added a powder blue, neon blue and a flame gourami, all dwarf. A few days ago I added 3 julii corycats to deal with the dead plant matter I have at the bottom of the tank (I'm considering adding a few more to their school).

All of that said, I'd like to have a few more gouramis. I really like opaline and pearl, but I'm not sure how they will assimilate with the other dwarves. Any advice? I really want to have a beautiful AND healthy/happy tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by avfox12
    a live rock,
    "Live rock" is a saltwater concept that refers to rock (dead coral skeletons usually) populated by beneficial bacteria. I'm curious as to what exactly you've got in your freshwater tank.

About a week ago I added a powder blue, neon blue and a flame gourami, all dwarf.
    gourami (of any species) males will be territorial and aggressive toward one another. Assuming you have 3 males (which is likely as female dwarf gouramis are quite drab) you've got a problem brewing on your hands.

A few days ago I added 3 julii corycats to deal with the dead plant matter I have at the bottom of the tank
    Corys are not vegetation eaters. If you have dead plant matter you need to clean it up yourself or else it will decay and foul the tank. Corys need a nutritious diet provided to them like any other fish.

All of that said, I'd like to have a few more gouramis. I really like opaline and pearl, but I'm not sure how they will assimilate with the other dwarves. Any advice? I really want to have a beautiful AND healthy/happy tank.
    As I mentioned, you are likely going to have problems with the 3 you already have, and I would certainly not add any more. All in all it would be best to have only 1 gourami in a 29 gallon tank.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thanks! - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to say but that's gona be a royal rumble in your tank, proper last man standing, gouramis do not live with other gouramis unless its a 55+ massively planted tank. Sorry, only gona end in tears
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    About the live rock, I know that now, the girl at the pet store, apparently did not. But it still looks nice, just not living.
    Any advice on what to do about the plant matter? Snails? I don't want to add anything quite yet, way too many changes in a short amount of time.
    Also, what might be appropriate tank mates for the future?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    your best bet for dead plant matter is manual removal. trimming and pruning is part of keeping plants.

there are a number of options to add to what you currently have. Livebearers, one of the smaller species of tetras or barbs, maybe a small pleco like a bristlenose... I wouldn't add too much more but you've probably got room to add one or two more species.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thanks! - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    The live rock will alter your hardness of the water, best to remove it.

Also just put your hand in and remove the plant litter. Or siphon it out.

Gouramis are often not sociable fish, have you looked at bolivian rams, one of them could work ok with a single gourami
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    I learned my lesson the hard way that it is best not to put more than 1 gourami together...(or at least not more than 1 blue one together)

Did you soak the logs in water before adding them to your tank? That might have helped with the staining. Water changes would help too.
    75 Gal FOWLR, 2 GSD's and 1 Cat
    Bound by paperwork, short on hands, sleep, and energy… nurses are rarely short on caring.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    About the live rock, I know that now, the girl at the pet store, apparently did not.
    A bit of friendly advice, NEVER take the word of someone who works at a pet store. They generally know next to nothing and are just trying to sell things. Doing research on your own and asking questions to other more knowledgeable people is the BEST way to learn things. For example, the LFS (Local Fish Store) you went to should have warned you of the fact that most (if not all) gouramis are territorial. Having that many males in one tank is never a good idea, but can work in some very rare instances. I just guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

BTW, welcome to the AC

EDIT: Forgot to add that I think all species of Corydoras are schoolers, and should be kept in groups of at least six, preferably more.
    Last edited by enzof9; 04-24-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because you love your fish. - escamosa   

Default Oh no!

0 Not allowed!
    I only had three gouramis in my 60 gallon, two paradise gouramis and one dwarf gourami... all males, and I had TONS of problems even with a lot of plants and hiding places. My advice would be to re-home a couple of those you have now and perhaps get some females for him to play with... :( My dwarf was happiest when he had a couple females in with him. If I remember correctly, honey gourami females are actually very aesthetically pleasing...
    5 gallon planted tank - 1 female betta and one HUGE mystery snail
    60 gallon planted community 3 marble lyretail mollies, 3 creamsicle mollies, 9 lampeye tetras, 5 bloodfin tetras, 4 black skirt tetras, 1 rubberlipped pleco, 3 peppered corys, 3 bumblebee catfish, 3 emerald green corydoras, 2 gold danios, and 2 giant danios

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because you love your fish. - escamosa   

0 Not allowed!
    Also, I agree with what Passions said about the bogwood... I had to soak mine for about two weeks before I introduced it, and it still leeched considerable amounts of tannins in the water. I added two more carbon filters and eventually that stopped... what worked for me curing the driftwood was a 5 gallon bucket, *HOT* water, and daily water changes doing that same thing for two weeks.
    5 gallon planted tank - 1 female betta and one HUGE mystery snail
    60 gallon planted community 3 marble lyretail mollies, 3 creamsicle mollies, 9 lampeye tetras, 5 bloodfin tetras, 4 black skirt tetras, 1 rubberlipped pleco, 3 peppered corys, 3 bumblebee catfish, 3 emerald green corydoras, 2 gold danios, and 2 giant danios