· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Since many of you have mentioned that more than 1 male does not work well, how it is that at the LFS, the dwarf gouramis are always peacefully swimming around with each other with pretty much no hiding places and probably 10 gallons of water? The reason I ask is that the LFS sales person told me they would be fine because of the above metioned situation, and my dwarf chased around my powder blue the 1st day after i added him, but then they settled down and would swim and eat next to each other constantly. Unfortunately my dwarf has been in a hospital tank for the last month (see DG not healing! Please help! post), and I don't know if they will be as friendly if I were to put him back in. For those of you who mentioned the males not getting along, I would be interested to know how long the males were together.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because you love your fish. - escamosa   

0 Not allowed!
    because they're so stressed out they have no idea what to do. i saw this in the paradise fish enclosure at my LFS. the aggression gets WORSE as time progresses... after a month, it went from playful fighting with my paradise gouramis to THIS... these are my two male paradise fish, one of which [the red one] is getting re-homed tomorrow.
    5 gallon planted tank - 1 female betta and one HUGE mystery snail
    60 gallon planted community 3 marble lyretail mollies, 3 creamsicle mollies, 9 lampeye tetras, 5 bloodfin tetras, 4 black skirt tetras, 1 rubberlipped pleco, 3 peppered corys, 3 bumblebee catfish, 3 emerald green corydoras, 2 gold danios, and 2 giant danios

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Time for an AC Gift...just because! :D - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by katfish80
    probably 10 gallons of water?
    Ah yes, sounds like petsmart quality treatment. It works there because they only receive males, and cram the tank full. If you only have 2, they will almost inevitably fight. If you put an injured gourami back in, especially back in with the same one that already beat it up, the same thing will most likely happen.
    I am also against having them in such a small tank, I used to own them and they covered every square foot of a 4ft tank with ease.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts!!  Happy New Year! :) - Ellen4God   Thanks for the heads up on tank size - Intentional or not  :-P - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    This is because fish in fish stores come and go, they get replaced quickly so there's no time for the fish to settle/mark its territory. You might not even know which one is new and old.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - koaladarshana   

0 Not allowed!
    Look for females of the dwarf gouramis if you can. Those you can pair in a ratio of 2:1 with males. They tend to have rounder bellies, are a bit smaller and are a pale silver color. That or try honey gouramis instead; they truly are gentle fish that rarely quarrel, but even so it's best to pair them in a 2:1 ratio as well as I have seen them become territorial in rare instances.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I would also advise no more gourami's to the tank for all the aggression issues already stated above. My daughter paid $60 for a chunk of dead coral thinking it would be "nice" in my tank. It sits on a shelf near the tank. LOL It will raise your pH as also stated.