· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default green water help

0 Not allowed!
    good day AC,

i gave my friend a 30g tank about 2 months ago. everything was going fine and then he had stcoked the tank and one fish caught ICH and then the whole tank caught this even after taking the sick on out. after doseing the tank with meds the tank got cloudy(white), now the tank has turn completely green, could this be something related to the meds?

he has added another filter with some carbon in it to help with the water and removal of the meds but no difference, it has been like this for almost 2 weeks. we have tried shortening the light cycle to only 6-7 hours, still has made no difference. we both have researched this and have come to one of two things either the meds or and phtyo pest.

has anyone ever dealt with this? if so how do you rid it ?

Thanks
    Mike and Jose
    10G Algae tank-The Nano was moved to the 55G
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    heres a pic of the tank

ammonia <.25
    nitrite 0ppm
    nitrate <25ppm
    ph 8.1
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest water change, turn off the lights for a few days and clean filter. Looks like algae bloom. There are chemicals you can use but I have never used them so I don't know if it will work or not.

a quick google turned up this...

http://newaquariuminformation.com/aq...rium-water.htm

I googled "green water saltwater aquarium"
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

You should really get the nitrates down or you may not see that much of a change.

Does your friend use bio-media in a filter as the main source of filtration for the tank, and if yes, when was the last time the filter media was cleaned ?

What type of lighting is on the tank ?

Are those curtains next to the tank ? If the tank is next to a window, does it get any direct sunlight ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's a t5 go fixture , also by a sliding door but it does. It get any sun light, the door is tinted, also yes he uses mechanical filtration more, and cleaned not sure, I'll have him do all of these, thanks for your help, I was leaning that way to.
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so, since i last posted my firend has been doing 2G water changes daily, cleaned the filter, ammonia at 0 nitrite at 0 nitrate >10ppm phostpate is at .2, the water is still green, so he did a 50% of 15 gallons. the green color got less and then it got just as bad as before.

my parameters on my reef slightly exceed that and i dont have this green water. is there anything we could add to the water?
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

0 Not allowed!
    Although the test results do not show very high levels of nitrate and phosphates, the test kits cannot factor in all of the nitrates and phosphates that are being consumed almost instantly by all of that algae. I’m guessing if it was not for all of that green water algae in there, those level would be much higher. I would suggest running a good quality phosphate remover, large water changes every second day (20% or higher) and perhaps consider and research carbon dosing to further reduce the nitrates. I have read (and experienced) carbon dosing working extremely well in a lot set-ups with higher nitrate levels. This will take some time to fix, but it can be fixed fairly easy.

You have to keep in mind your live rock can be like a sponge. If it is kept in high levels of nitrates and phosphates for a long time, it will start to soak them up like a sponge. When you reduce the nitrates and phosphates in the water, some will leach out of your rocks back into the water raising the levels again.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats good to know,

i was looking at carbon doseing ( i will be on my reef) how ever they suggest not to do it if you do not have a skimmer, have you dosed like this?
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

0 Not allowed!
    There are many different approaches to carbon dosing. I have yet to find one that says you can not use a skimmer. I have only tried bio-pellets (which I would not suggest your friend to try as it will take too long for results) and using a carbon dosing supplement. Both actually require you to have a skimmer running.

I would suggest looking into vodka dosing. Based on what I have read, it seams to be among the quicker methods. The below link should help

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks cliff, that was an article i actually read the other day, because i was interested doing in my tank,

have you heard off bright well Bio Fuel? its supposed to be the same as vodka dosing?
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast