· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish
    Just as Cermet mentioned stocking; I was in a different lfs browsing SW for future ideas, ever seen Blue/green bird wrasse before?? oddest oddballs ive seen in a while Im a sucker for oddballs
    Those are really cool looking... I like wrasses a lot in general actually, but I haven't seen any for sale locally (I could order online but am kind of reluctant to do that for some reason)
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lots of scrubbing was done yesterday... but I am stoked because I've been searching for some cute comfy chairs or poufs for seating in my new aquarium "nook" and found these:

SO CUTE... ordered two of them.

But real pics (of the aquarium not to poufs) are coming!

Also my black oscellaris clown (the female) has discovered the anemone... she spends all her time rolling around in it now :)
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just need to say that I did ALL the plumbing on my tank last night... if you knew me personally you would know that that is a big deal lol. I'm not very good at things like that. It took a lot of reading/watching youtube/studying how to do it, but I did all my plumbing!

GO ME!

0 Not allowed!
    That's how we all learn. Good job

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of this set-up (hint.. hint... )
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the plumbing, you'll have to post pictures so we can see your set up... notice the HAVE TO... not SHOULD ;)

Doing something by yourself is always fun especially when you research it and then do it and it comes out well!
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know I've been slacking on the pics... but there have been a few setbacks lately, aside from the fact that I dropped my laptop on the floor and completely busted the LED screen, so I can now only log in at work....

1- plumbing is leaking working on this issue. Cliff has made some excellent suggestions for ways I might fix it, which I will be trying tonight. But I am happy to say that we filled the tank with freshwater for a test run and there were no leaks from the tank itself, so no need to re-silicone or any of that... just need to tweak the overflow plumbing setup and I'll be good to go.

I've also had a heck of a time getting all the salt/mineral deposits off of the overflow boxes. I was able to scrape it all off the glass with vinegar, a scrubber and a razor paint scraper, but its harder to get off the black plastic. For the last 2 days I left it full of hot freshwater with half a bottle of vinegar dumped in there, and the water is now pretty cloudy so I guess some of the salt has dissolved. Tonight I'll drain it and give scrubbing another go.

My goal is to have it set up for this coming weekend as my parents will be coming down to visit... not sure if that is do-able or not, but I'm gonna try!

Here is a pic to hold you guys over... this is the tank in my living room after I scraped most of the deposits off the glass (but as you can see this was before I worked on the overflow boxes):

There are also some pics of the plumbing specifics in my member gallery as I uploaded them to ask Cliff some questions.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    nice, i will be setting up my remaining 3 tanks in the next weeks- i also have a 150 Tall, looks about the same footprint. great tanks but a pain to scrape algae off cause they are so deep. looks great.. keep the pics comming.
    10G Algae tank-The Nano was moved to the 55G
    55G Reef-
    55G FOWLR-soon
    55G Coral only-soon
    150G-reef/ fowlr? Soon
    75G predator tanksoon

DIY live rock

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All my fish are doing well but still in the small tank... I am fighting my usual self that wants instant gratification and not moving them over before I'm done plumbing the sump (I could in theory and just not fill the tank all the way to the top of the overflows, but I'm trying to cultivate patience)!

But I got an in-sump skimmer (AquaC EV-180) so I'm another step closer to a fully functional 120g!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My nem split!! woohoo!

Other than that... the big news is... I'm moving. So the actual set up of the 120 is going to wait until I have it set up at the new place, and then I'll be transferring the livestock from the 60g in which they are still chillin'.

Question... and this may be a very stupid one... a split anemone will never sting its counterpart because they are of the same DNA, correct? Or will they begin chemical warfare now that they are two separate entities and located very close to one another?

0 Not allowed!
    You won't have to worry about chemical warfare. My ever splitting RTBAs never did sting each other after splitting.

Just keep an eye on them as in a few weeks, one of them will likely start to move to find a new spot
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]