· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    It will take a lot longer to grow the nitrite eating bacteria than it did to grow the ammonia eating bacteria

Just make sure you are only dosing ammonia once each day and only up to 1 to 2 ppm. At times it will hit 0ppm and that is OK as long as you are bringing it back to 1 to 2 ppm by only dosing once within a 24 hour period.

It almost sounds like you have been dosing more than once each day / 24 hour period. That would explain the second spike in nitrites.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    You are doing a great job dosing the ammonia - bacteria that convert nitrite compete with ammonia converting bacteria for space, so you have to wait until those guys work it out ... . That said, took my tank a little over five weeks to fully cycle. Just do water changes to get the nitrites down and continue.

Best of luck!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @cliff

I did dose twice yesterday but only because both in the morning and evening it had gone back to 0 and I only dosed to about .5 each time. I was afraid the ammonia bacteria would die in less than 12 hours which is why I dosed twice.

So I dosed this morning and it was around .75, so if it's 0 when I get home from work, I shouldn't dose again till tomorrow morning?

@cermet thanks! Tomorrow is the 4 week mark, I was hoping it would be done by then but I think I made the initial mistake of putting too much ammonia to start. I hope it's done by this weekend though, if not I might have to give up an start again after I go on vacation for a week. I leave on the 19th and was hoping to have fish in my tank for a good two weeks before, both to make sure they're okay an to get my kitties used to seeing them so they don't go crazy when I'm away haha.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danifins
    @cliff

I did dose twice yesterday but only because both in the morning and evening it had gone back to 0 and I only dosed to about .5 each time. I was afraid the ammonia bacteria would die in less than 12 hours which is why I dosed twice.

So I dosed this morning and it was around .75, so if it's 0 when I get home from work, I shouldn't dose again till tomorrow morning?
    I would only dose once each day to bring it just over 1ppm

Your bacteria can go 24 hours without a food source (ie.. ammonia) before you start to get some die off. If your bring up your ammonia to just over 1 ppm, your bacteria will not be without food long enough for it to have any negative impact. This will also allow your nitrite eat bacteria a chance to catch up to your ammonia eating bacteria.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ugh This is so frustrating!! I did water changes last night and got the nitrites down to 2-3 ppm. I did NOT dose ammonia again, and it was at 0. This morning before work I tested nitrites, and somehow it's up to or above 5ppm again!! How is that possible if there was no ammonia left to convert?! I'm so confused and frustrated... Also getting tired of doing water changes that don't seem to help :(

I had to dose ammonia again this morning, so I put enough to get between .5 and 1 ppm. Im afraid to test the nitrites when I get home, especially cause I'm having a friend over tonight and can't really do a water change. Argh!

0 Not allowed!
    If you keep dosing ammonia only once a day to get the ammonia level between 1 and 2ppm, you won't have to worry about doing any water changes. You should not be doing any water changes if you follow the fishless cycling process so you should not have to worry about that.

It dose take a lot longer for nitrite eating bacteria to grow.

Just hang in there, you are doing fine now.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Whether the nitrites rise or not, if the ammonia falls to zero, you need to feed the bacteria once a day.

If the tank has a substrate, ammonia can be trapped and stored there. Then it is released as ammonia levels drop and will (at very low levels) feed bacteria in the filter producing nitrites. As Cliff says, keep dosing 1 ppm or so once a day and wait. It will cycle.

Best of luck!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Almost a week later.

I haven't done another water change as per Cliff's advice.

Every day I dose ammonia and everyday it goes down to zero.

Nitrites are STILL off the charts. Its going to be 6 weeks in two days. What gives? Why is a 36 gallon tank taking SO LONG?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Stop messing with the tank. Add dechlorinated water when needed, test and add ammonia when needed. All these water changes are doing no good. I am not going to pretend I have a clue why it's taking so long but I do know when you are going through a fish-less cycle you don't need to clean anything or change out any water. If it were me, I would skip a day of dosing ammonia. 24 hours is not going to starve off the bacteria and all you are doing is feeding the nitrites so you keep getting higher and higher levels. Try a few days of dosing ammonia to 1ppm every other day instead of daily.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Things were going fine. All you needed to do was to drop the dose of ammonia to half the original amount. There is nothing in the cycling threads about overdosing with ammonia, dosing twice a day and doing huge water changes. The instructions are pretty easy to follow but they do need to be followed or you run into what you have now.

Your nitrites and nitrates are sky high due to that overdosing you did for so long. Ammonia just keep right on converting because you kept right on over dosing.

You said you started cycling April 11. This is May 8. How do you figure that's 6 weeks?

Oh........Seachems Stability you asked about? Guess you missed that part, too, in the cycling thread. Says not to use it when doing a fishless cycle.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-08-2012 at 07:35 AM.