· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Banana plants and propagating new ones. Also whether or not to prune the long stems.

0 Not allowed!
    I've finally got my first truly planted tank growing well and what I thought was just a normal leaf at first turned out to be a long stalk. I have 4 of these plants and this ones been in there the longest and has giant leaves and recently shot a stalk up; the top of my tank is simply a glass pane over it so I like the look of floating plants. I've read conflicting things online about propagating these plants and what to expect if I don't trim it back. One thing I have noticed is one of the banana parts looked used up and fell off after this stalk went up 15 inches (it's a 29g tall after all) in like 48 hours and put out a lily pad. Maybe it got bumped and broke or something I really don't know.

So first off will this plant put all it's energy into making more lily pads and ruin the bottom leaves? or use up and ruin the bulb part? I was thinking I could maybe have some banana plants with lilys and some I trim off and have them simply grow bushy and low in the tank.

Second off I have read a ton of ways to grow new banana plants from cutting this lily pad stem close to the bottom or top and letting it float and produce roots to basically breaking the banana part in half to cutting a leaf off at the stem and letting it root.

I'm clueless I didn't even know the plant would do this lol.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In terms of propagating I have successfully done both of the following
    1. Allowed lilly to break off on its own and then allow it to remain in the tank, the broken end started shooting bananas which i planted and it started growing new lillies.
    2. Cut the stem very close to the plant and bury the end and it started growing
    The let it break off method is the fastest (after it chooses to break off) cutting it and trying to plants it is often difficult because the lillies are so buoyant and keep pulling it up out of the soil. Also cutting it and allowing the stem to float around does not seem to work like the self break method it seems to just wither from the cut and die
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay that sounds good; my other question is should I let my other banana plants have lily pads or cut them off when they appear? mainly will the lilys use up all the nutrients to grow and stunt the bottom leaves?

I should of mentioned I'm rocking 36watts of t-5 6700k and 15 watts of 6500k compact fluorescent. Will they flower or anything like that?
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll be interested to hear what you find out. I just added a banana plant to my little 5 gallon and within a week a long stem shot up and what seemed like over night, like your plant, I have a lily pad floating on the surface of the water. cool plant.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Let the shoot grow, the plant has used a lot of energy to create it and the best way for the plant to regain it is to allow the pad to open and photosynthesize, unfortunately this will mean lower leaves will probably wither, but just me if the water nutrients are good it will shoot many many pads up. Its meant to be floating pads tho not lower water pads.
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

0 Not allowed!
    Whether you should trim floating lily pads or not depends on how you want your plant to look. A leaf at the surface of the water will absorb more co2 and more light, so is more desirable for the plant. Once the lily figures out where the water's surface is then it will only produce floating pads. If you don't like that look then you'll have to keep trimming any leaves that make a dash for the surface.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Whether you should trim floating lily pads or not depends on how you want your plant to look. A leaf at the surface of the water will absorb more co2 and more light, so is more desirable for the plant. Once the lily figures out where the water's surface is then it will only produce floating pads. If you don't like that look then you'll have to keep trimming any leaves that make a dash for the surface.
    makes sense. I noticed this morning that my banana plant has yet another sprout heading for the surface. pretty cool.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That makes sense; yeah in 2 days mine went up to the top (which is a long way up in my 29 tall) and just started to shoot another up. I also have 3 other ones (they sell them for like a buck or 2 at my lfs) rooting and opening new leaves. Adding fert. and co2 made all the difference for me with really all my plants but most visibly with these, I have some with leaves 4 inches wide neat plant.