· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What fish do you keep with Cardinal Neons?

0 Not allowed!
    I know it's a peaceful fish and will live with others, but looking for them to be happy with others. I bought my Cardinal Neons years ago. It seams if I add any other fish in the tank the Cardinal Neons hide in my plants. I don't know how they are still alive without eating. I've seen in one store a bunch of Cardinal Neons swimming with Discus. I don't know if I could do Discus yet. I would really like to know if they do good with Rainbows. I have Rainbows with them now and they may have been good with them. My Mom gave me some Guppies and I wonder if that's when they disappeared again.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you mean Cardinal tetras or Neon tetras? They are different :)

And really, either would do well with any kind of peaceful, community fish. You just have to take care (especially if you have Neons) that you don't get any fish big enough to start eating the smaller fish! Although neons are famous for not being as active and clustering together when there are bigger, more predatory fish present. Many people here swear that Neons do best in a tank on their own (maybe with a peaceful school of cories on the bottom) without any threat from other fish.

Whether or not you can have discus, rainbows or any other fish completely depends on the size of your tank, your filtration, and how good your water change habits are.

Can you give some background info?

3. Default Does anyone have Cardinal Neons with their Rainbows?

0 Not allowed!
    I always seem to have an issue with my Cardinal Neons hiding. I don't remember if they started hiding when I added my rainbows or when my Mom gave me some guppies. I'm hoping someone tells me they have Rainbows and Cardinal Neons schooling together. Then I will take all the guppies out and use them for bait at our next Boy Scout fishing trip.

0 Not allowed!
    They are not called Cardinal neons. They are either cardinal tetra or neon tetra.

Rainbowfish do not school with neither the cardinal or neon. Small fish hide from larger fish.

(I combined your posts here. Questions only need to be asked once.)
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-30-2012 at 05:15 AM.

5. Default What do you keep with your Cardinal Neons?

0 Not allowed!
    I always seem to have an issue with my Cardinal Neons hiding. I had them with Black Neons and each type took one side of the tank, so I gave away my Black Neons. I had them with Angels and when the angels got bigger the angels picked corners and the Cardinals stayed in the plants, so I gave away my beautiful Angels. I don't remember if they started hiding when I added my rainbows. My Mom gave me some guppies and they are hiding now. I'm hoping someone tells me they have Rainbows and Cardinal Neons schooling together. Then I will take all the guppies out and use them for bait at our next Boy Scout fishing trip. What do you keep with your Cardinal Neons?

0 Not allowed!
    Small fish like cardinals and neons are naturally afraid of larger fish. They are good fish to keep all by themselves but if they are with other fish, only small fish like themselves.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, I don't know how posting in other areas created double post over here. Anyhow they must be Cardinal Tetras. Thank you.

0 Not allowed!
    Neons have more blue and Cardinals have more red. Cardinals are a little bit larger as well but all make a great lunch. It's totally normal for big fish to feast off small fish. They do it in the wild and also in fish tanks.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-30-2012 at 11:18 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As stated Cardinals don't do well with big fish like Angels as they are more or less their natural prey. I don't know if you said this yet but how many Cardinals do you actually have since they're a schooling fish if you have a decent sized school it will promote their activeness and make 'em less scared.

Edit: A fish that I would recommand is Sparkling gouramis I have 4 sparkling gouramis with dwarf pencil fish and they never bother each other and the sparkling gouramis show amazing colours once they settle in with reds on their fin green and blue hue on their body with bright cyan coloured eyes.
    Last edited by Michael W; 05-30-2012 at 11:11 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    If you have gourami's that get along, you are about 1 in 100.