· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Need help figuring out where I am in the cycle...

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all! This is day 7 of my 10 gallon tank being up and running. On day 3, I added 3 glofish/danios (if I had understood the cycling process then like I do now I wouldn't have bought them until my tank was fully cycled). I just got my test kit in the mail today and tested my water. These are the results:

Ammonia: .25ppm
    Nitrite: 0
    pH: not sure
    HR pH: 8.1ish
    Nitrate: 0

I haven't done anything to my tank since day 1 except add 3 glofish. When I very first set up the tank, I added the appropriate amount of Aquatic Stress Relief, Special Blend, and Nite-Out II. And, that's all I've done to it.

Where am I at? And, what do I do next? I have 2 more tanks (a 10 gal and a 25 gal) that I'm going to cycle fishless, but I don't want to do anything until I get this first tank healthy and happy so I can learn!

Thanks soooo much for any help or advice!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10g FW Community
    1 glofish/danio, 5 pond snails (hitched a ride on a plant)
    16g FW Community
    2 Gold Dust Lyretail Mollies, 1 Red Wag Platy
    29g and 5g FW Planted Community
    Coming soon!

0 Not allowed!
    Your cycle is just starting. Just make sure you do a waterchange if the ammoina gets over 0.25ppm

Why not start a fishless cycle on you 25 gallon right now while you are cycling your 10 gallon with fish ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking that very thing! And then I realized that I don't have anywhere to put a 25 gal aquarium that can support the weight... sad. So, lately I've been spending quite a bit of time in the DIY threads looking for a strong yet simple tank stand that I can build. As soon as I build it, I can start the 25 gal fishless! Can't wait! :)

Not sure what to do with my other 10 gal, save it for use as a quarantine? Or, stock it with other kinds of fish? Or use it for fry? So many decisions...

So, for now, I should just monitor the ammonia (daily?) and do water changes any time it's over .25 ppm. When do I worry about the nitrites?
    10g FW Community
    16g FW Community
    Coming soon!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here are today's test results. I made sure to follow the directions to a T.

pH test results: nothing on the card matches the shade of blue that it turned out to be, but the HR pH looks awfully close to 8.2

ammonia test results: .50 ppm

nitrite test results: 0

I'm supposed to add more Microbe-Life Special Blend today according to the label. Should I not even mess with that stuff and let the tank do what it wants to do? Or should I continue with what it says since I started out with it? Also, should I attempt to lower the pH somehow or will a water change help lower that? When I do water changes, should I do any cleaning? Everything still looks the way it did on day 1, but I'd rather clean while it's easy than wait until it looks gross. Definitely don't want to mess with the cycle tho!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10g FW Community
    16g FW Community
    Coming soon!

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Rather then add the worthless 'Microbe-lif' get some ammonia loc to make the ammonia harmless for the fish (your pH being rather basic then the ammonia is dangerous to the fish.) This will not affect the cycle and an ammonia reading of 0.5 will be harmless - this will mask the ammonia signal but you know the fish are adding it so that will not be an issue. Just keep up your typical water change. This will, of course, do zero for nitrites when they show up, but extra air will help.

0 Not allowed!
    You can still start that 25 gallon cycling. Stick it in an out-of-the-way corner somewhere, stick a heater and a filter in it and let it began to cycle. When you're ready for it, just drain the tank and move it to the the stand. The bacteria is in the filter. It only takes about 2.5 weeks to cycle and that will give you time to get the stand made.

I would not call the Microbe-Life worthless since I've never used it myself. I have used Seachems Stability, however, and find it works pretty darned good. But you don't want to use it for a fishless cycle using ammonia. Only for the fish in cycling.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishies12
    Here are today's test results. I made sure to follow the directions to a T.

pH test results: nothing on the card matches the shade of blue that it turned out to be, but the HR pH looks awfully close to 8.2

ammonia test results: .50 ppm

nitrite test results: 0

I'm supposed to add more Microbe-Life Special Blend today according to the label. Should I not even mess with that stuff and let the tank do what it wants to do? Or should I continue with what it says since I started out with it? Also, should I attempt to lower the pH somehow or will a water change help lower that? When I do water changes, should I do any cleaning? Everything still looks the way it did on day 1, but I'd rather clean while it's easy than wait until it looks gross. Definitely don't want to mess with the cycle tho!
    Don't worry about your pH now - the fish are already in the tank and have adjusted to your pH - plus pH fluctuates during cycling anyway.

When you change your water, no need to clean anything unless you know you have overfed and need to suck up excess food from the gravel - do not touch your filter - change your water to keep it at .25ppm. When cycling with fish in the tank, you might not even see nitrites if you are keeping your ammonia low - you might just see nitrates when you are at the end of cycling.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for your input! I've been testing the water at least once a day to make sure I keep the ammonia level around .25 ppm. The hardest part is waiting until I can safely add more fish! I'm glad the glofish/danios are so active in the meantime. They just chase each other everywhere, especially the blue fish. He seems to pick on the red and yellow fish a lot. Are they playing or fighting?
    10g FW Community
    16g FW Community
    Coming soon!

0 Not allowed!
    The problem with glofish. They are zebra danio's, just a color morph. All they do is chase, chase, chase from morning to night and pester the blazes out of any females. They can be pretty disruptive if you want a nice, calm tank.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, I didn't know that! I always read that they're nice and friendly for a community tank. Sounds like I have 1 male and 2 females then?
    10g FW Community
    16g FW Community
    Coming soon!