· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

Thumbs up Second attempt with Kribs

0 Not allowed!
    So I had a go at breeding kribs, didn't go well. Basically they didn't pair up and i rehomed them seperately to friends.

As a surprise birthday present my girlfriend bought me some fish, which turned out to be a male and female Kribensis. I was worried that the same would happen as before, but their behaviour this time is much better. After a visit to my lfs today I found out the guy had actually put 10 kribs together and sorted out some pairs, so mines are a mated pair, from their behaviour they do seem very happy together. The male is flushing pink/purple on his underside and the cute wee female has the most violet body ever.

After reading the primer that dave66 wrote it looks like they may be nearing to breed. They are both showing to eachother side on and the female the 'shimmies' this then makes the male blush even deeper purple.

My tank is set up with nice shaded areas and 2 main caves.

In the primer it did say that the male will 'shimmy' back at the female when ready to mate, is there anything I can do to encourage the breeding like food to give them, cooler water changes or will I just have to wait it out? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated

Female

Male

These photos were a few days ago, their colours have intensified since then.
    Last edited by ScottishFish; 04-20-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Discus like many SA cichilds will breed after a water change and temperature drop (ie after the rainy season hits.) Don't know anything about these but if the colors (or should I say colours?) of the male are getting more intense, then you are close. Good luck!

Also, very pretty fish!
    Last edited by Cermet; 04-20-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    kribs are one of the prettiest aquarium fish IMO. Nice looking couple you've got there!
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I would appreciate colours instead of the lazy way colors hehe Thanks for the nice response guys, and I agree with Brhino they are superb little fish, IMO the female is nicer than the male, and that doesn't occur a lot.

I may leave it a day or two and try the cooler water change, any other suggestions will be accepted with open arms

Note: Apologies for the bad photography skills, also I know the tails of both fish are a little tore up, I guess during all the pairing at the lfs they got beat up a bit. They are slowly healing though, I have noticed improvement since saturday.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the other posters, they are some gorgeous fish. I've never kept Kribs but I would like to try them sometime.
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    A very strange feature is that pH changes the male/female ratio in a brood. The source claims that a pH of 6.5 - 6.8 produces equal numbers; lower pH, more females; higher, more males.

They are very similar to discus in wanting soft and acidic water. Their temp range is 74 - 81 F (23.5 - 27 C for our British spellers ...) so dropping to 74 for a short while should be fine.

After seeing yours, I too would like a pair! Can catfish be housed with them since both are bottom dwellers?
    Last edited by Cermet; 04-20-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    They are actually fine with corys and loaches, they seem to dislike my bolivians though :(

0 Not allowed!
    Just FYI everyone, Kribs are from West Africa, not South America. There are several very attractive cousins of kribs swimming in West African waters.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Just FYI everyone, Kribs are from West Africa, not South America. There are several very attractive cousins of kribs swimming in West African waters.

Dave
    Oops! Din't read that far on them! Thanks.
    Still, they do like the same water conditions so they could share a tank, no?

0 Not allowed!
    Since you didn't read that far, the answer to your question follows.
    ____
    Though the Niger River delta has many different water parameters down it's length, ending in brackish and marine waters, 'kribs' are most commonly found in the soft and acidic small tributaries of that delta. Though most all available are commercially raised and thus adapted to various pH and hardness levels, to my experience they live and breed best, not to mention are the most colorful, in the soft water, acidic planted tank.
    -----
    Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go