· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Neon Tetras Dying Off

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55Gal freshwater tank that has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5.0-10 nitrates, PH 8.0 and steady, temp 76 degrees. Plenty of fake plants and driftwood for cover.

In the tank I have 4 swordtails and roughly 25 fry (roughly 1 month old, in a breeder net). I have 6 black tetras, one pleco, two mystery snails and currently 3 neon tetras.

I recently added two black tetras, the pleco (b/c my old guy died), the two snails and I had a total of 8 neon tetras.

So that is the background, and here is my issue. I currently have 3 neon tetras remaining in my tank. I am losing a fish every night and trying to figure out what is killing them. Yesterday I had one floating in the tank and it looked like it was attacked. Not sure if something was picking at it after it died, but something is gunning for them. One of the female swordtails has been getting aggressive since the additional fish have been added. Plus I think she is pregnant again. Could she be going after them when I shut the lights off at night? When the lights are on there is no aggression being shown to the tetras. Could it be the snails or the pleco?

Has anyone run into an issue like this with community fish? If so what did you do to fix the issues?

0 Not allowed!
    Never know for sure unless you actually see it. They could be dying on their own, as well. Tetra's being so small are easy targets tho and really why they are best off to have a small tank of their own. They just hide all the time with other fish in the tank with them.

0 Not allowed!
    You could also raise your temperature to 79 - 80, and see if that makes a difference. 76 is a little to cool for my liking. If you choose to try this, raise the temperature a degree at a time, over a few hours - don't just turn your heater straight up to 80.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    Neons don't do as well in warmer temps for some reason. I kept my neon tank at 76, as well. I wouldn't even attempt to treat them IF they had ick, with heat.

Since I moved mine to a 10 gallon alone, I haven't lost even one. When I had them in the 29 gallon with only Harleys, I lost 8 in about two months. Another mystery.

0 Not allowed!
    They're definitely a fish with a very fine line between dying and living aren't they! You can be feeding them in the morning and then scooping dead ones out in the evening! I guess this is why I've never kept them.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I've had far better luck with Cardinals; they are a bit tougher but do require a higher temp than Neons. Like Neons they want low nitrates, good water that is acidic and soft if possible (large weekly water changes are a good idea - large means 50% or more; of course tank size matters - 75 gal and under 50% or more as the tank gets smaller. School size in small tanks can be an issue.)

I have found Neon's to be more an issue than most fish, discus included. They really need good water and the right type of food.
    Last edited by Cermet; 04-20-2012 at 11:32 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    And I have had 6 in my 46 gal while it was still cycling, along with a case of ich and I haven't lost a single one! So, when I read that they are more sensitive than other tetras I think "I guess I got lucky"!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the help. I am not sure what the heck is going on in my tank. I got home yesterday expecting to find another "missing" or dead neon but the remaining three were still alive and well.

Now its my black tetras that are dying. I had six at the beginning of the day and I lost three yesterday alone! And one of the remaining is not looking so hot. Again, my water parameters are good, zero ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, temp/Ph are stable... The fish have been fine for the last few weeks and now this is happening.

The only change I made was early last week with my small secondary HOB filter. It died on me so I only have my AC70 running currently. I have another AC70 on its way from drs forster/smith, but otherwise there have not been any major changes to my tank.

My snails seem to be thriving, the pleco seems good and my swordtails have not missed a beat. I am not sure what to do at this point so any ideas are welcome.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I am confused - you lost one filter AND then added fish to the tank? You believe that your nitrites and ammonia are not the issue since CURRENTLY they measure zero? Notice that fish died and THEN later you measured the ammonia/nitrite levels.

Yes, they were zero (now) but when you lost a filter AND far too soon added more fish, I would guess the ammonia spiked. The fish got badly injured and some later died. Fewer fish now so the ammonia production levels stopped climbing and the remaining filter caught up (can do this over night.) With the now reduced the levels going to zero (for the kit.) But the harm was done and the remaining fish couldn't hang on after being hurt by that first spike (now long cleared.)

You should add extra air (if not doing that already.)

Another question - your pH, is it over 7.0? If so, the ammonia would remain in its most harmful form. not important but if you do have a basic pH, in the future, keep this in mind. Good luck.