· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Just started a fishless cycle, but going on vacation soon

0 Not allowed!
    So I started my fishless cycle using pure ammonia last wednesday.

The thing is, I'm going out of town for a week about a month from now, and I don't want to get any fish before I leave (I don't really trust the girl who is feeding my cats to take care of a brand new tank).

My question is, how do I keep the ammonia level up without asking her to add the ammonia each day? I assume the cycle will be done by the time I leave (it'll be about 5 weeks total at that point) I don't want to take the chance that she'll forget and not add it and have my bacteria die, wiping out weeks of waiting.

What do you guys suggest? I've heard that maybe tossing in a raw shrimp and letting it decompse would work... but won't that make my tank all nasty?

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank has already been cycling for nearly a week, it should only take another two to three weeks to get it fully cycled. By the time you leave for vacation you should have fish in the tank and they will obviously keep the tank cycled while you are gone. I know you don't want to get fish before you leave but it might be best if you do.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    It's one or the other. Have her drop in a capful of ammonia each time she comes over to feed the cat or add some fish. Since she will be feeding the cat, she can drop in a couple of flakes for the fish each day?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Or put a piece of raw shrimp before you go out of town. That is, if your tank is not cycled yet.

I would advise getting the temp higher and putting an airstone to help with the cycling.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @lady Hobbs
    It's not that she's incapable, its just that I always watch new tanks like a hawk, test the water at least once a day for the first couple weeks, etc. Also to watch the fish and make sure they're okay.. She has no fish keeping experience so she wouldn't know what to watch for.

Maybe I will just ask her to dose ammonia every or every second day.

Still curious if anyone else has an opinion/experience using shrimp to feed the bacteria while away :)

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Since you just started cycling the tank and have to leave before you are comfortable leaving it in the care of someone else maybe it would be better to stop cycling it and wait until you get back from vacation.
    I've never used shrimp to cycle a tank, but others here have,and it works, but I would be concerned with it messing up the water more than it cycles the tank while I was gone and coming home to a smelly mess.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd add fish...

Its far easier for her to understand that fish need food than it is for her to understand that bacteria need ammonia. But now the problem is, do you buy fish that you might not want later, or do you risk the fish you currently have. Idunno :/.

0 Not allowed!
    If you add fish, they may have ick and then you'd return home to another mess. Shrimp needs time to rot before it will start producing ammonia and it can make the tank messy. If she adds ammonia, it may be too much or too little.

Of those options, I would add a school of hardy tetra's. IF they have Ick, you will still have time to treat the tank before you leave. Just dumping ammonia in the tank for a full month after it's cycled seems a bit over-the-top and she may over or under dose the tank.

Any dummy can drop a few flakes in the tank each day. Just make sure she only feeds them a small amount. Every other day would be plenty for now.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    These are all great replies, thank you all so much.

I have a lot to think about now! I think maybe I will wait until the cycle is done and then decide what to do. I may possibly end up adding fish after all. Thak s again everyone :)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    If you decide to add fish before you leave on vacation, (which is what I would do), you can buy one of those weekly pill dispensers and fill each day with fish food. This is a lot easier than asking her to test your tank water everyday and dose enough ammonia to keep the cycle going and will ensure she does not over feed the fish.