· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Neon/Cardinal- Which is hardier?

0 Not allowed!
    Which one is hardier? I have heard both, that neons are very sensitive, neons very hardy, cardinals hardier, cardinals more sensitive....
    So confused because nearly every site I go to has a different answer.
    The only difference I have found is that cardinals like warmer water.
    Are they just the same, depending on the place you get them?
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I have read in several books that both are pretty much equally as hardy. Problems that you can encounter when keeping them are; fin rot due to stressed fish, and white spot from them being stressed also.

For both fish the main thing for keeping them is only introducing them into a well established tank, 6+ months. This along with large schools should prevent any major problems.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Neons are generally more hardy, because their conditions are easier to establish than cardinals. Cardinals need a lower Ph, and both species appreciate subduded lighting, their colours will also look better.

Neons can get neon tetra disease, a fatal protozoan that goes from fish to fish, and should be isolated. other than that, once their established, they prove reasonably hardy

0 Not allowed!
    Neither is hardier than the other and most success depends on the keeper.
    One problem with any fish that is still mostly wild caught (it's a sustainable resource for the natives) is they aren't offered anything that looks like food, when they first come in.

Quarantine and feed a wide variety of foods until they get used to eating man made foods.

0 Not allowed!
    One site will say one thing and the other just the opposite. Ask a store why they only carry neons and they will say cardinals are less hardy.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Both fish often have trouble acclimating. I just restocked my 100 gallon with 52 captive bread cardinals and only 1 died (the tank has been running about a month). The captive breads were about a dollar more per fish but it was well worth it.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    The big issue is both like very clean water that is acidic and soft. That said, both can ajust to harder and neutral to base water paramters. They need time and the nitrates need to be low. Also, with other fish around who get to the food first, they can lose out on feeding.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, LH has a point....
    And if they sell both, the more expensive is hardier.
    Meh, I'll just get some TR cardinals.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion it all depends on where you get them from. I know some stores that sell neon's that are in awful condition but some of the privately owned fish stores have better neon's. If you get Cardinal Tetra's get them Tank-raised. The problem is you could buy 100 wild cardinal tetras and only end up with 25. The only downside is the tank raised ones are expensive usually the difference is $2.50 for wild. $10 for tank raised. I would say if you can find a great store that keeps there neon's in good shape get those because they will be cheaper. I think mine were $2.50
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It depends on your water conditions. At places like Petsmart they tend to keep every tank at a PH of 7.0, which generally means that the Neons do better. So I'm sure if you asked someone who worked there they would say that Neons are hardier.

If you have a lower PH I guarantee that the Cardinals are hardier than the Neons though.