· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

Default Lifespans section???

0 Not allowed!
    Apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Not a lot of fish profiles have the fishes lifespan in them, I think this is quite an important piece of information. I know I have some fish that I am unsure of how long they live for. Also for beginners it may be a helpfull piece of info.

Along with this it would be good to have how quickly they grow, I.e oscars live for quite a while but grow to that size relatively quickly. On the other hand royal Pleco live a while but grow to full size very slowly.

Just an idea
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    That is one heck of a good point.
    All I know is that tetras usually can live up to 10 years.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

0 Not allowed!
    Some fish can live for an awful long time. I personally know of a Senegal Bichir (Polypterus senegalus) that has outlived three owners at this writing so is at least 85 years old. And I've had a Ornate Bichir for well over 25 years and it has survived several moves back when I was in my 'see the world at least the US' stage.

Do think a dedicated 'properly kept' lifespan list of certain kinds of aquarium fishes would be a good idea. Since I have many awfully old fishes (both freshwater and marine) in my tanks, can certainly contribute to it.

And several tetras can live well over ten years. A year or two ago replaced several members of my lemon tetra school since some were starting to fade away after 18 years in my care, but the rosy tetra school tanked with them is still hale and hearty and are nearing 20 years old.

Without the threat of predation and other stressors most species of aquarium fish can live a really long time. Bettas, for instance, from birth to death live about three years, so is one of the short lifespan fishes.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    I know scientificaly that it can be very hard to decide an organisms lifespan. But a list of fish could be drawn up and members could contribute to how long they have had them live. Urban legends are not included

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    this is a great idea!
    Link to my Journal: patinthehat's 50g journey
    50g-11 neon tetras, 749 billion pond snails, 3 Bristlenose Plecos, Red Cherry Shrimp, and assassin snails on the way!

0 Not allowed!
    Scottish, how about you start one. Thought of it before myself but there's thousands of kinds of fish and more time than I want to invest.

0 Not allowed!
    A list of lifespans for species where it is known is a good idea.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I would happily start one lady hobbs. Where could I start one? Best bet to write a list then paste it into a thread?

0 Not allowed!
    Plus, I want to know if my fish is going to outlive me.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's an awesome idea :)

And on the subject of Betta's short lifespan, how old are they usually when they reach pet stores?
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank