· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    I would also be skeptical of picking up wood from anywhere on the beach that may be sprayed for insects. Hauling bogwood out of the river that has already sunk or hardwoods from deep in the woods is another matter.

Beaches are sprayed for sand fleas and numerous other critters if it's anywhere near where people swim. Good, I think, that you bought the wood from the store this time.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I realize that wood from the beach and right into the tank would be risky, although I think I did ok in minimizing the risk..... I remember boiling that piece for about 15 minutes or so and then soaked it in water for about a week or two, changing the water ever other day or so.

So..... I think the bb in my filter pulled through just fine. This afternoon ammonia was 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates about 10. I had noticed that my nitrates had been consistently a bit too high for my liking, so that's one reason for the change in my java moss wood, just to be safe. Also, cleaned my filter housing quite thoroughly with the installation of the new impeller, so getting the extra gunk out will help the 'trates be a little lower I'm sure.

I think I have happy goldfish again! (well, at least I'm happy!)

Ps.... to celebrate 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites I am the proud owner of 7 new white clouds! They'll relax in quarantine for a while before meeting their new roommates.
    Julie
    Dog, cat, cockatiel, 4 budgies, & many fishies
    tank 1 - goldfish & white clouds
    tank 2 - betta, neon tetras, khuli loaches, & Bob the Bristlenose

0 Not allowed!
    White Clouds are great for schooling fish in a coldwater tank. I don't think you indicated how large your goldies are -- if the WCs can fit into their mouths, some of them might become snacks. However, you can help minimize this by providing floating plants and hiding places to shelter the WCs. Also, keeping the goldies well fed will help.

If you'd really like a lot of extra color in your tank and keep the fish very small, glofish danios would nicely complement your WCs. Of course, you don't want to overstock, but if you still have enough capacity and filtration, they are also compatible with goldies.

Colors in glofish: Bright yellows, bright reds, bright pinks, vivid blues, greens, oranges -- you name it. Just about the full spectrum.

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info, mermaid.

Right now, my goldfish are about 2 1/2 to 3 inches, not quite big enough for a white cloud snack. I do have extra cover for them, though, with one of my plants trailing across the top, as well as a couple stems that have been pulled out and are now floating.

They seem to be doing well and must be feeling a bit more comfortable as they're beginning to explore more of the middle of the tank as opposed to staying at the top.

My goldfish generally leave them alone, not really even noticing that they're there. But, I do keep the goldies well-fed as you mentioned, Mermaid. :)

When I get my big tank for them (210 to 245 litres), I'll probably up the white cloud numbers.

Anyway..... all is well with my goldfish and white clouds!
    Julie
    Dog, cat, cockatiel, 4 budgies, & many fishies
    tank 1 - goldfish & white clouds
    tank 2 - betta, neon tetras, khuli loaches, & Bob the Bristlenose