· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joonkun
    this is true about each fish having a different personaility. however thats playing the odds that you get a peaceful trio of convicts.
    Yes,but cryptoheros nanoluteus,are NOT convicts.That is just a moniker,because they happen to resemble convicts.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah but they are still considered to be semi-aggressive and territorial so i would assume its still a mixed bag.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Skullduggery - Thanks, actually you were the first to recommend it I believe. Before that I was still thinkning about firemouths and rams, which were great, but the yellow convict caught my eye more than the others.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if your LFS permits trade-ins or returns theres no reason not to give it a shot. nothing ventured is nothing gained.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Firemouths need at least a 4' tank, they claim a larger territory than most similar-size fish. I just took 3 breeding pairs of cutteri to the lfs yesterday, they've been kept in a 90 for months w/out any real problems. A single pair would be fine in a smaller tank, I spawned a pair in a 29 and raised their fry there with them until it got too crowded. I still have an adult spawning pair in a 40 breeder and a couple odd females in the 125, the cutteri have never been any problems for me. Just moved the 3 pairs to free up the tank space for the chanchito's.
    Rainbow cichlids are also a smaller, relatively mellow species you might want to consider. Also easier to maintain than nanoluteus.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well, the yellow convict may be out, I can't seem to find them anywhere in Florida. Everybody keeps telling me that they are very rare.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I asked Don Conkel, who is a major distributor of Central American Cichlids in my area. He said you can't find them anymore in the states. He said they are next to impossible to find in the wild now and that they they are not basal, they can only reproduce for 3-4 generations so it makes it difficult to find viable specimens to breed. He said the cheap prices of larger aquariums have reduced the demand of crytoheros in the last few years. He told me if I can find a pair to let him know. Anyway I think the Yellow Convict is out as a possibility. Here is his website http://www.donconkel.com/index.html.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12