· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know I'm not allowed to eat junk food all the time where I live.

A good reference to look at is You tube's Whats Really in your pets food.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my vet actually recommended the purina one beyond when my cat was diagnosed with diabetes 5 years ago. Since then he mysteriously stopped all symptoms of diabetes and actually had to stop getting insulin injections (yay! no more expensive insulin!). Since hes been on his diet of fancy feast and beyond he has been so much healthier. He was horrible health and the vet wanted to put him down multiple times before. Now he is 15 years old and acting like a kitten again. :) It works for him. Different animals, different requirements i guess.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsarecool
    I know I'm not allowed to eat junk food all the time where I live.

A good reference to look at is You tube's Whats Really in your pets food.
    i do agree with that but along those lines of reason (dry food being cat junk food) a person eating soup every day will have the same issues as someone who never eats soup. it all depends on the food and whats in it.

for example the only grain in the top ten ingredients in my cats dry food is ground barley sitting at number 6 on the list.

also i watched the video you said to watch, and dont quite follow the point your trying to make? in different terms your saying that because one electronics manufacturer uses child labor that all electronics manufacturers use it?

+1 to different animals different requirements though

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Probably the reason my cat is supposed to eat his expensive "junkfood" is because after his diabetes stopped suddenly the vet had wondered if maybe the problem wasnt diabetes in the first place. After re-checking the records it was decided that the real problem was probably fatty liver disease. He has to eat lots of "Burger King" because his body literally starves itself otherwise. Cat was at that point a large cat but weighed less than 8lbs and was skin and bone. :( Now that insulin is stopped and feeding has changed, he has gained a little over 2 lbs in about 8 months, and is starting to regain muscle and fat slowly but surely.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekfishlover2011
    Probably the reason my cat is supposed to eat his expensive "junkfood" is because after his diabetes stopped suddenly the vet had wondered if maybe the problem wasnt diabetes in the first place. After re-checking the records it was decided that the real problem was probably fatty liver disease. He has to eat lots of "Burger King" because his body literally starves itself otherwise. Cat was at that point a large cat but weighed less than 8lbs and was skin and bone. :( Now that insulin is stopped and feeding has changed, he has gained a little over 2 lbs in about 8 months, and is starting to regain muscle and fat slowly but surely.
    Diabetes is very commonly misdiagnosed in cats. I could of have killed my cat if I didn't do so much research on the disease and how it's diagnosed. When cat's go to the vet and they are highly stressed(or not feeling well to begin with), their blood sugar raises and and can cause a reading that seems like a diabetic reading but in actuality the cat's usual BGL is not that high. If I didn't test my cat's blood myself, I would have ended up giving him 5 units of insulin a day and probably put him into hypoglycemic shock. Come to find out, it was just transient diabetes. And in the end we found out he actually had renal failure, which is commonly misdiagnosed as diabetes due to the similar symptoms.

Protein is more important with fatty liver disease so I doubt it's because your cat is eating "junk food" that he's keeping the weight on. It's most likely because you switched from a junkier food to the Beyond, which at least has more protein than most grocery store foods. And I'm sure the addition of wet food helped greatly, less filler in the wet foods generally.

Glad your cat is better though :) Diabetes is scary stuff!
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea what you almost did to your cat is what we did do to ours. We never tested his blood sugar because the vet had ever told us to, they did it there monthly. For 2 years he was being injected with stuff he didnt need. Then the last few months he had started collapsing every night with weakness and low blood sugar and almost died twice. I had to rub corn syrup (also vet recommended for emergency sugar raising) on his gums at least once a week to get him up and walking, then force feed him some food. Kept telling my grandma to stop giving it to him. Finally got the ok from the vet to do so, and vuala! No more dying. :) I dont like that vet at all.

I guess ill try him on some even better dry food. Wet food he refuses unless its that fancy feast with the spinach that he loves. Otherwise... Sniff, sniff, walk away.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    have you tried Instincts they sell it at pet co, you can get the little cans, not the big sense its just a sample. Most dry fed cats like canned instincts, Chicken Turkey is a hit with my two.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    have you tried Instincts they sell it at pet co, you can get the little cans, not the big sense its just a sample. Most dry fed cats like canned instincts, Chicken Turkey is a hit with my two

Weruva found at chuck n dons pet food outlet is also good.