· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Good brands of cat food.

0 Not allowed!
    I go to chuck N dons to buy my cats food. Here are some good brands IMHO.

Natures Logic- probably the only pet food in the world that doesn't use added vitamins sourced from china/ect. Grain free, mostly meat and liver based. the only thing scary about this is that they don't add turine- which even though comes from china is a MUST or cats will go blind have heart trouble.. claim that the heart added helps but still. Sense its expensive I buy the chicken cans.

Wenuva- paw licken chicken. and nine liver. Rest have fish.

Natures variety, mostly good although their rabbit comes from China.( read that in a online review on the product) so I feed chicken/turkey, and lamb

Stella and chewys every once in awhile I will get this but sence its expensive rarely.

Taste of the wild/. I like the chicken and gravy cutlets.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've never fed Nature's Logic but only because the stores around here only carry the dry version and I won't feed my cat's dry food.

My kitties like the Weruva but I never buy it really. It's too expensive for what you get, Weruva adds a lot of water to their foods and they are lower calorie then other brands. Lot less bang for my buck.

Nature's Variety is a great brand, but again, over priced. My cats have been getting the Venison lately since it's on sale and they do love it.

My cats used to LOVE Stella & Chewy's, and I love it for it's low phosphorous content. But they seem pretty bored by it now. And as you said, pretty expensive. A bag of it only lasts my cat a week.

My cats love the TOTW, but the store only sells one flavor of the canned so that's the only one they get :( But I really love the TOTW brand.

Other things I feed my cats? My favorite is Rad Cat raw. Cats love it, it's a little expensive though. The company is awesome as well. I also feed Primal raw food but they are less impressed by this and I think it's because of the texture. And both cats snub their nose at Nature's Variety raw which I don't like anyways for them since it has more grain and carb.

As far as canned foods, I mainly feed Wellness, Merrick, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and Solid Gold :)
    3 Gallon Planted Betta Tank
    4 gallon planted Aqueon Evolve Dwarf Puffer Tank

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My cat only eats Purina One Beyond if its dy food, and only the Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys for wet.

The Elegant Medleys is great. They have 3 different types that ive found so far, Fare, Primavera, and Tuscany. He only eats the chicken, tuna, turkey, or salmon.

Tuscany - Wild rice, carrots, tomatoes, spinach are all mixed in in large yumy chunks.

Primavera - a creamy white sauce, with spinach mixed in.

Fare - a heavily packed very meaty one, with more spinach than any other type, and a very light amount of the creamy white sauce.

Hes an expensive kitty, but we love him, so we pay $.80 a can for it, and he gets 1 can a day plus 1 bowl of dry food.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dry food of ANY kind can cause a lot of health problems in cats. Cats evolved to get moisture from the food they eat. My parents cats ate dry growing up and all of them sooner or later died from health problems related to it, (kidney stones, obesity, dental disease,cancer) none of them ever saw there full lifespans of 20+ years.

The brands you speak of are very bad, Purina has killed many cats. You can even go on the their complaints website about purina and you'll see cat after cat who is sick,dead or dying.
    Last edited by Ramsarecool; 04-13-2012 at 02:07 PM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    linking food soley to cats health is a bit silly. honestly most of these people are blaming the food however i bet most have no "real" experience or knowledge in cats health. theres too many outside factors to really say its this brand of food. i had a maine coon who ate wet and dry friskies his entire life. he lived for be jsut over 12 years old. thats pretty good for a coon, and he was a big boy, im guessing he was a male and im guessing atleast 20+ lbs. sure it might not be the "best" food, nor it might not be the healthiest food. but i wouldnt call it "bad" either. its like the difference between someone that drinks soda or doesnt drink soda. sure sodas not the best for you. but then again drinking it wont be the "sole" reason you die either.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsarecool
    Dry food of ANY kind can cause a lot of health problems in cats. Cats evolved to get moisture from the food they eat. My parents cats ate dry growing up and all of them sooner or later died from health problems related to it, (kidney stones, obesity, dental disease,cancer) none of them ever saw there full lifespans of 20+ years.

The brands you speak of are very bad, Purina has killed many cats. You can even go on the their complaints website about purina and you'll see cat after cat who is sick,dead or dying.
    based of your experience that may be true, but my mothers 3 cats, would beg to differ. one nothing but dry food we still have one going strong at 23 years old. one passed away last year at 21 years old. and a few years ago she another cat pass who lived to be 22years old. out of three cats all have lived or are living past 20 years...

do agree with purina though but its not cause its dry food its cause proctor and gamble bought them out. i will never feed anyone anything made by a company owned by P&G. quality goes down and very very bad things get reported like allergic reactions killing pets, food quality goes so far down its insane, food starts making animal terribly sick.

i personally feed my cat a brand called blue
    Last edited by KatzeSlaugen; 04-13-2012 at 03:41 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just because an animal lives a long time doesn't mean anything. Did those cats you still have or had have health issues? Dry food is linked to UTI's, Cystitis, Diabetes, and IBD. For every cat that you have that is "fine", I have seen three that have had these health issues from being fed dry food, and more often it's a poor quality dry food as well.

Most cats kept solely on dry food will at some point in time at the very least get a UTI. A cat is a desert animal. Cats in the wild get 70-75% of their water content from their pray therefore domesticated cats who are fed only a dry food diet will basically make your cat be dehydrated all the time.

Cats are also obligate carnivores. There is no place for grains and high carb content in cat food, they enzymes to break down a lot of the ingredients in commercial dry food.

Also, commenting on Purina, they make awful food for the most part. Corn is almost always in the first three ingredients, and this ingredient should NOT be in your cat or dog's food. Purina One Beyond is not really any better of a line then their other lines. They basically omitted corn since a lot more pet owners are becoming aware of how much of a filler it is. If you look at the ingredients panel for the Chicken and Rice Formula you'll see the first five ingredients are :Chicken, chicken meal, whole brown rice, soybean meal, whole barley, whole oat meal. Granted, the first two are fine. And yes whole brown rice is healthier than white rice, but it alas is still a grain. Soy has no place in animal food and a frequent cause of allergies.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    they never had health issues and head yearly check ups. again the soda reference. i doubt all of you eat only the best foods, and no junk or sugars. i doubt all of you also excercise daily and take vitamins for your entire life even though you should.

0 Not allowed!
    After loosing my 16 year old Maine Coon to diabetes which I firmly believe was due to a diet of grain based foods. She was also fed Royal Canin so it wasnt cheapo crap. I made the switch to grain free foods for both my dog and cats. However diet is, I agree, not the only cause for pet illness. I had to have my Siamese put down due to acute renal failure...cat never ate grain containing foods and was predominantly on wet food. Vet ruled it a genetic issue. My current cat refuses wet food, however she will eat Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

My feral barn cats which are strays that congregated due to the fact I feed them, do not get premium foods. They eat grocery store kitty food which is made by Purina. It is not the best for them, but they do receive food, fresh water, and adequate vet care. It could be much worse for them...
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Disease of course isn't always because of nutrition. But a lot of times it can be due to a bad diet.

And just because I eat junk food doesn't mean I want my animals too. Plus, I don't think most people eat junk food every day(I'm sure some do), and if you feed a food with low nutritional quality, you are pretty much giving your animal Burger King every day. There's nothing wrong with treats here and there that may not be the healthiest, table scraps and such...but for their every day diet, I don't think so.