· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should likely have let this go, but for some reason, I just can't.

I came in as a newbie. I am still a very amateur fishkeeper. I asked a very specific question.

I am not an amateur Network Engineer. I have been doing it practically since it became a profession, and newer people as questions on message boards for that as well. On those boards, we sometimes get questions where the answer is not something we have ever encountered. Without being in their house and knowing exactly what they have screwed up since the beginning of building their network, it would be impossible to ever guess upon the right answer to tell these poor people.

Some people, like me, admit that. Other people give the generic answers, akin to the PC advice of rebooting the PC, adding more RAM, and updating the drivers. Maybe defrag the Hard Drive? These are all good things, most people do not do it enough, and it DOESN'T solve every problem.

I am not saying you do not know more than me about the subject. I am freely admitting that you do. However, I am saying the answers I was given were generic garbage.

I had a problem I did not understand. I was screwing up on a level not directly related to fishkeeping. I discovered the cause, mostly by typing it out here on this forum. I corrected the problem. I posted my results for others instead of disappearing forever.

I freely admitted my lack of a test kit. If I had simply lied and given you good test results, would that have entitled me to a less snotty answer?

Please explain to me in what situation water quality is going to be lethal to top and mid dwelling platies and swords that are long time acclimates to the tank before they kill fragile bottom and mid dwelling neons that I added the week before? GIVE ME ONE EXAMPLE.

Elsewhere on this very forum, it is posted many times how the neons do not like warm water, how they will not get the water anywhere near 80. I do not trust the heater. The more it works, the more it has a chance to go wrong. I strive to keep my tank as consistent as possible. I would like a detailed report of exactly what magical things that three degree swing is going to for me.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moghedan
    I am not saying you do not know more than me about the subject. I am freely admitting that you do. However, I am saying the answers I was given were generic garbage.

Generic garbage? The advice given to you is given several times a day to new fish keepers - it is given because it is practical and works - water changes, testing with a reliable test kit and not adding fish too fast - many people new to the hobby aren't given this advice from their LFS and they tend to lose a lot of fish.

I freely admitted my lack of a test kit. If I had simply lied and given you good test results, would that have entitled me to a less snotty answer?

We aren't trying to be 'snotty' here - just letting you know what we believe the issues are and how to handle them.

Please explain to me in what situation water quality is going to be lethal to top and mid dwelling platies and swords that are long time acclimates to the tank before they kill fragile bottom and mid dwelling neons that I added the week before? GIVE ME ONE EXAMPLE.

In general, poor water quality can affect ALL fish, not just sensitive ones - there is no way to predict which fish will tolerate poor water parameters and which ones will survive it. However, bottom dwellers are more susceptible to ammonia.

Elsewhere on this very forum, it is posted many times how the neons do not like warm water, how they will not get the water anywhere near 80. I do not trust the heater. The more it works, the more it has a chance to go wrong. I strive to keep my tank as consistent as possible. I would like a detailed report of exactly what magical things that three degree swing is going to for me.
    I keep my tank at 78 with 6 neons - they do fine and have not baked yet - if you purchase a recommended, reliable, adjustable heater, there is very little chance something will go wrong with it - I've had mine for over a yr with no problems.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    I am locking this thread. It has become obvious that the OP does not want our advice.

Moghedon, good luck with your fish and I hope you find a place that gives you the answers you want to hear.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1