· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi - Yes, my WCMMs spawned frequently and my school of 12 end up near the 50 - 60 mark in about a year. I discovered that the more I fed them BBS, brine shrimp eggs, and frozen blood worms and mysis, as opposed to flake food, the more they bred. I would feed Hikari first bites when I noticed fry until I had enough WCMMs in the tank, then I would cut back to almost exclusively feeding them flake and stopped feeding First Bites, so spawning rate went down and fewer fry survived.

Short version: You can control the number of fry. Plus, your gold fish might eat the fry, but I don't know much about goldfish.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fishguy, I feed all my fish (goldfish, community tank, and a betta) NLS. Also, I don't mind at all that my fish snack on my plants. One of the reasons I've got plants, and my goldfish love the java moss.

I didn't realize that bristlenose plecos can be at room temp..... Even fairly cool room temp? I've got a young one (about 2 inches) that when it grows I always hoped my community tank will still be a suitable size for him (Bob). But, if Bob can be put with my goldfish in their big tank that would be great!
    Julie
    Dog, cat, cockatiel, 4 budgies, & many fishies
    tank 1 - goldfish & white clouds
    tank 2 - betta, neon tetras, khuli loaches, & Bob the Bristlenose

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    What is the temp in the tank?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fishguy, the temp varies I don't have a heater to keep it constant - it varies with the room temp. At this moment in the evening, for example, it's 72. I live in southeast Australia (originally from northern Indiana, moved to Australia in 2004), and though we don't get snow here, it does get cold in the winter..... I don't like keeping my house very warm as I'd rather bundle up...... cozier that way I think. So, range of temps would probably be 65 minimum up to 80 on really hot days in summer (no air conditioning for my house in the forseeable future.

But, if bn's like it warmer than 65, I wouldn't have a problem with using a heater to boost it during the colder parts of the year when the heat in the house wouldn't be on yet.

I like the idea that my Bob The Bristlenose might possibly be able to play in the big tank with the goldies! I'd rather keep the goldfish tank simple (no heater) but I'm flexible.

Just would worry that Bob might hurt one of the goldfish if he thrashes his tail if they get too close to him. He "charges" at my mollies if they wander too close to him in front.
    Last edited by ArkD'Julie; 04-15-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    Julie

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    I would do a heater to keep it up at 72 or so.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    I would do a heater to keep it up at 72 or so.
    Is that in the case I put my bn with my goldfish, or for the goldfish in general?
    Julie

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That would be for the BN. As the temp decreases, oxygenation in the water decreases as well. Goldfish, as I'm sure you've noticed, are "air gulpers", and if they need more oxygen than what they are getting, they will simply swim to the top of the tank, and take in air that way. BN's, as well as most other plecos, will stay towards the sides or bottom of the tank, and stay away from the higher sides of the tank. IMO, I would put a heater in the goldfish tank, whether you put the BN in there or not, as goldfish will get "gas gut" and begin to list, or even capsize if they take in too much air. My red cap oranda did that until we put in other fish that were more active and required a higher temp.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscarloach
    As the temp decreases, oxygenation in the water decreases as well.
    Thanks for the input oscarloach, but I need to correct you. Colder water holds more dissolved oxygen than warmer water, although warmer water becomes saturated with oxygen easier... so even warmer water that is 100% saturated with oxygen may not carry adequate oxygen levels. As water temperature increases it holds less dissolved oxygen.
    Julie

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Ditto, as stated cooler water holds more dissolved gas.

And plecos can definitely gulp air if needed.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist