· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default alk dropping ca stdy high ph low

0 Not allowed!
    The title says it all. My alk is dropping to a current level of 7 from where it used to be a stdy 9. My ca is stdy at 500 and the ph never goes above 8 even right before lights out. I was dosing vodka up til about 2 weeks ago and saw the alk dropping and other things such as lps not expanding in a healthy manner. I use seachem reef salt and maintain my sg at 1.026. I dose nothing for ca,alk,or ph and my mg is at 1300. I do have seachem reef buffer which is supposed to keep a 8.3 ph and raise alk but have not used it for months as when I got it all I wanted was higher ph and my alk was good or a bit high. Any suggestions to get the alk back around 9 to 10 and the ph to a bit higher then 8.0?

0 Not allowed!
    With the demands for alk and cal increased in my tanks (as the corals and coraline grew), the alk was the first element to be effected. I would guess that is what might be happening in your tank as well. I have read that carbon dosing can lower your dKH but as you have not dosed in about 2 weeks, I do not think that would still have a effect here

You could try dosing alk with a good brand supplement. I might be a good idea to start at 1/4 of the recommended dose as you may not need alot.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wonder what I have is using the most alk? I know clams can really pull the number down but I am curious of scallops do the same thing if they are healthy [I think mine are]. as my tank is lps and softy oriented I didnt think they used that much ca and alk[ would explain why my ca never drops]. I alos have a crazy number of very small half rice grain size snails that bloom all the time not to mention a big crop of stomatellas breeding all the time. Could they be a draw on the alk and maybe I should be dosing something?

0 Not allowed!
    Any stony coral that you have (all of your LPS's) are utilizing alkalinity and calcium during the calcification process (such as when additional heads or polyps are formed or if the size of the colony increases, etc).

How often are your water changes? It's possible that calcium replenishment via water changes is keeping up with or surpassing the uptake rate (while the corals' uptake of alkalinity outpaces it).
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Up until this past month my wc have been a 10 gal every week out of a 58 gal tank. The past month has been a 5 gal for this weeks and a 10 gal the previous 2 wks.