· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Exclamation Frogspawn Coral is MAD at me - Is there hope?

0 Not allowed!
    Please help me, This is my first post, I apologize for it being a needy post rather than an introduction -

I was trying to help my husband out (he works 14 hour days and made a comment that I could be helping out since I want the marine science laboratory too) and add fresh water to the sump because it was too low from evaporation and blowing air bubbles into the tank... well, I forgot I had the fill on...it overflowed everywhere (it is outside so I didn't notice I remembered!) It overflowed for so long that the specific gravity went down to 1.019 (25 salinity)... I immediately bucketed out water from the sump/refugium and attempted to do partial water changes (extra salty into the sump area) over the next two days...

Today on the third day the specific gravity is back to 1.024 and salinity is around 30 again, Ph 8.3, Calcium 400, Temp 75.4 degrees F, nitrite 0, phosphate 0, ammonia 0, nitrate 15ppm, am I missing anything?

All the frogspawns look sucked in and wont poof back out. Did I kill them or wll they just take a few days to recooperate? Please tell me what I can do to assist their happiness once more (besides never help again). Everything else appears to have survived my huge error and I have now learned to fill a bucket NOT the sump area.
    Today it looks like this1333844596997.jpg
    another shot of today 1333844564630.jpg
    Tank view before I messed with it....1333417851053.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    It doesn't look completely withdrawn so I would say there is hope. Likely still a little stressed from the salinity swing. It almost sounds like there could have been a temp swing as well with that much fresh water added in short time.

Do you test your alkalinity or magnesium ? What is your nitrate usally at (before all of this happened)

Keep a close eye on him for the next few days. I would guess he would be OK
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Thumbs up Thank you for your speedy response

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, he tests the alkalinity and magnesium but we (my son and I) did not today... temp is still in the green area of the cheapo thermometer...we are in a tropical environment and the chiller hardly ever runs (70-80 outside year round). the nitrate is usually at 15 ppm we have cruddy water and have tried everything to get it filtered down to that (short of buying bottled seawater)... I added 40 amphipods to the refuge tank the same day as the overflow... hope they survived... well, thank you for your assistance. I will try to get the profile and gallery populated so you all can appreciate our marine science lab...

I have been battling an algae problem as well, some funky orange super brine food I believe was the cause... I threw that in the trash and have been blowing off the leather that was completely covered in algae... so when I did the overflow I was like OH MANNNN.... he is going to kill me!

Thank you again for your quick response- I will keep my eye on them all closely.