· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    There is no issue if the nitrAtes are at a safe level - the issue is nitrItes. If these are zero and stay that way after adding ammonia, then you cycled. If not, then you have a ways to go. Of course, the ammonia level must always drop to zero and fairly quickly.
    yes the ammonia and nitrites are going to zero, shown in image above, i was just concerned why the nitrates hadnt risen up a lot as expected

thanks for your help

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, it sounds like you are cycled alright. You have shown an increase in the nitrates which is also good. It will not always get really high so I would not worry about that.

Don't forget to add ammonia daily to keep the BB alive as well as a large as possible water change on the day you add your fish.

Congrats
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    This question with nitrates being low has come up previously and I will say the same thing happened to me once. Normally they will continue to rise as the nitrites converts but you also hear of this every now and then. Ammonia and nitrites are your main concern.

I do see you were dosing ammonia every 12 hours rather than once a day but you apparently were not overdosing so all is well. I would still do a large water change and get some fish in their to keep that bacteria alive now. If it will take a few days to buy some fish, then I would continue to add ammonia in small doses to keep the bac fed.

Congrats. You have a cycled tank! Patience always pays off and really, the time frame is not off at all.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thank you for your help everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    This question with nitrates being low has come up previously and I will say the same thing happened to me once. Normally they will continue to rise as the nitrites converts but you also hear of this every now and then. Ammonia and nitrites are your main concern.

I do see you were dosing ammonia every 12 hours rather than once a day but you apparently were not overdosing so all is well. I would still do a large water change and get some fish in their to keep that bacteria alive now. If it will take a few days to buy some fish, then I would continue to add ammonia in small doses to keep the bac fed.

Congrats. You have a cycled tank! Patience always pays off and really, the time frame is not off at all.
    yeah i decided to does half the amount every 12 hours as it gave a more constant food for the bacteria.

0 Not allowed!
    Where this doesn't work is when people add the 24 hour dose twice a day. Doing small doses as you did apparently didn't hurt anything unless it allowed the amount of bacteria to diminish. Just to play it safe, I would not overstock right off the get-go but take it a bit slow.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i dont intend on fully stocking straight away, i will be transfering my breeding pair of angels from another tank and a couple of livebearers i have to start with