· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default help, stuck on nitrite part of cycle

0 Not allowed!
    I have been cycling my 50G tank (fishless)for about three weeks now and have been stuck on the nitrite part of my cycle for over 15 days. I have done everything correct from what ive read on the net but my nitrites arent going down

my readings are 0ppm- ammonia, 5ppm - nitrite (off the scale on api kit) and 10ppm - nitrites

i am struggling for reasons why my nitrite wont drop, I have been advised by another enthusiast to try get the nitrites to a reasonable range so i can monitor them more easily so i did a 20% WC two days ago to no avail so yesterday i did a huge WC, approx 90%, and i tested my water just now and the nitrites are still off the scale.

I have reduced the ammonia dose since my ammonia level started to drop so im sure im not overdosing.

tank is also at 82F

someone help me please
    garry

0 Not allowed!
    I would keep your ammonia up to around 1 to 2 ppm by dosing once a day and stay the course.

It takes longer to grow the nitrite eating bacteria than it did to grow the ammonia eating ones

You should see the nitrite dropping soon
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I would keep your ammonia up to around 1 to 2 ppm by dosing once a day and stay the course.

It takes longer to grow the nitrite eating bacteria than it did to grow the ammonia eating ones

You should see the nitrite dropping soon
    i am dosing about 1ppm of ammonia per day, i am aware it takes longer to grow but it seems to be taking far to long, far longer than i researched. Expecially when i have seeded my filters with cycled media from my other tank which hasnt helped. I believe this is the reason why i am getting a small amount of nitrates present

0 Not allowed!
    If you are doing a fishless cycle you shouldn't do water changes until the very ended of your cycle before you add your fish. The NitrIte stage is the longest stage of the cycle, it remains high and then drops to 0 suddenly. Keep your ammonia levels at 1-2 and let the cycle run its course.

Patience is the key
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

0 Not allowed!
    Every cycle is different. The last time I did a fishless cycle it took me about 5 weeks. The time before that, just over 3 weeks. I still can't figure out exactly why.

As long as you are following the process correctly, it will happen
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to all advice above. My 50 gal acrylic w/ Rena Xp3 is going on week 5 of it's cycle. So far: 0 Nitrite readings. Though, something must be happening, b/c the ammonia stopped spiking so high. In fact, on week one it spiked to max of the test. Was fooled by expired test strips--which I used to just use up. <<<Bad idea.

0 Not allowed!
    It also depends on your filter. One filter obviously has less growing spaces for bacteria than two filters would. As long as those ammonia levels are disappearing over night, I'm right with Cliff here to add each day to 1-2 so you are continuing to feed that bacteria. Your nitrites have spiked so I also expect it will drop all at once one of these days. I would have thought 7-10 days tho but all cycles are different.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    It also depends on your filter. One filter obviously has less growing spaces for bacteria than two filters would. As long as those ammonia levels are disappearing over night, I'm right with Cliff here to add each day to 1-2 so you are continuing to feed that bacteria. Your nitrites have spiked so I also expect it will drop all at once one of these days. I would have thought 7-10 days tho but all cycles are different.
    my filter is a juwel bioflow super, i am not running the carbon or nitrate filter with this set up and am using from top to bottom;

small handful of fully cycled media from my other tank
    wool
    coarse sponge x 2
    cirax x 1
    fine sponge x2

so i have the cirax and two fine sponges for bacteria to grow which should be plenty.

yeah i have heard 7-10 days quite often, hence me starting this thread as it has bee 18days for me wince the ammonia started to become zero

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did a fishless cycle on my second tank in Feb. (It was just a 12 gallon, but the process and wait is basically the same!) I was in the same boat as you for a while.

Nitrites showed up on day 7 with a reading of 2
    Day 8 it soared to 5+ it was darker then the highest color on the chart.
    It stayed "off the chart" for 24 days, then it fell to 2. The next day (25 days) it finally fell to Zero!

I did finally add some seeded filter material from a friend on day 19, but it still took 6 days after that for the Nitrites to drop and to complete the cycle.

I was afraid to mess with mine by doing any water changes. ( though I had considered it a couple times as it got into the third week!) Some tanks just take longer to get through that Nitrite phase, but it WILL happen. Just hang in there!

Good luck
    46 gallon bow front planted - 6 Longfin Neon Rosy Barbs, 1 male Golden Sailfin Mollie, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Panda Corys, 1 German Blue Ram, 1 Apple snail.
    29 Gallon - mix of plastic and real plants - 1 Angel fish, 2 male fancy guppies, 2 German Blue Rams, 8 Neon Tetras, 2 Ottos.
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.
    Pictures of my 46 Gallon here.
    Picture of my 29 gallon here.

0 Not allowed!
    Also have read that lower pH takes longer than tanks with higher pH but it's only what I have read and have not witnessed myself.