· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 10g, Fishless Cycle, Stalled?

0 Not allowed!
    First off, I have been quietly stalking the boards while I waited for my tank to cycle. After having read the fishless cycling guide - made by the lovely Hobbs - I took the plunge and started my new hobby on 3/12/12.

I have a 10 gallon, with a java and a fern plant, black gravel with some smoothed river rock I bought several years ago for my "bamboo" plants. I have the Marineland Penguin 100 (for a 20 gal. tank) hanging, and a heater set at 82-88 degrees.

I dosed out the ammonia (3-4 ppm when I tested) on the March 15, 2012. I started several days before but didn't measure anything. Seeing that it was too high, I worked at getting it to the 2 ppm range. This happened on the 17th of March.

During the next few days, my Ammonia read a solid 2 ppm. while the Ites and Ates were at zero.

On 3/18/12, I got my first additional readings. 1 ppm of Ammonia, 5 ppm of Ites, and 20-40 Ates. Apparently, a solid spike after reading and reviewing this forum and reviewing my results during the next two weeks.

On 3/19/12, it was .5-1 ammonia, .25 ppm of Ites, and 5 Ates.

This last reading on 3/19 has been consistently reproduced every day since.

Today was the first time my ammonia was between .25-.5 ppm. My Ites were at .5 ppm again but my Ates went up to 10 ppm. I searched through my tank and found that park of my java plant had leaves that were blackened. I removed those blackened leaves right after I found them.

My patience is running thin, and I feel like my cycle has stalled. Any advice would be great. Thank you in advanced. I can't wait to get fish and continue my involvement with the various subforums on this site.

0 Not allowed!
    There is nothing wrong here. Your nitrates continue to go up because you are still converting the ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates. Appears to be nearly done to me.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From 3/19/12 until now, have you been dosing the tank with ammonia? Or has it remained stable during that period without you adding any new ammonia. I would think if the cycling process is progressing, you would start seeing the ammonia drop regularly and have to re-dose to keep it at a certain level. At least, that's what is happening in my case (I'm perhaps further behind, as my nitrites are still peaked out at 5.0 ppm or higher).

Also, I wonder if the tank is a little on the warm side. You mention 82-88 degrees. 88 seems high - can you keep it constant at the low end of that range?

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Lady Hobbs for returning my positive hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by prog_frog
    From 3/19/12 until now, have you been dosing the tank with ammonia? Or has it remained stable during that period without you adding any new ammonia. I would think if the cycling process is progressing, you would start seeing the ammonia drop regularly and have to re-dose to keep it at a certain level. At least, that's what is happening in my case (I'm perhaps further behind, as my nitrites are still peaked out at 5.0 ppm or higher).

Also, I wonder if the tank is a little on the warm side. You mention 82-88 degrees. 88 seems high - can you keep it constant at the low end of that range?
    Q1 - I have not been dosing any ammonia. It's been stable without any additional ammonia.

Q2 - Two days ago I turned down the heat to 80-82 degrees.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Surprising that it would drop from 2.0 ppm to 0.5-1.0 ppm back in mid-March and then sit there until yesterday. But perhaps now it's dropping again. If it looks even closer to 0.0-0.25 today, I would re-dose up to 1.0 ppm.

I'm also not sure why your Nitrates would've dropped unless there was a water change between the 20-40 ppm reading and the 5 ppm reading the next day. Regardless, I think the nitrates now going up again is a good sign.

Good call about the temperature! Keep us posted.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by prog_frog
    Surprising that it would drop from 2.0 ppm to 0.5-1.0 ppm back in mid-March and then sit there until yesterday. But perhaps now it's dropping again. If it looks even closer to 0.0-0.25 today, I would re-dose up to 1.0 ppm.

I'm also not sure why your Nitrates would've dropped unless there was a water change between the 20-40 ppm reading and the 5 ppm reading the next day. Regardless, I think the nitrates now going up again is a good sign.

Good call about the temperature! Keep us posted.
    I have been replacing water that has been evaporating (I currently only have a screen over the top, not a hood. Consequently, I have probably had to place an additional 3-4 gallons of water in the tank during the last 3.5 weeks. I also live in Minnesota where it's been really dry and oddly warm.) I will be buying a hood for the tank once it has cycled. Spreading the costs over time so my budget remains intact.

I will be testing the water later tonight when I get home from work between 5 and 6 pm.
    Last edited by Horste; 04-05-2012 at 04:32 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Added enough ammonia to raise levels to 1.0 ppm.

0 Not allowed!
    Also as a reminder you starting dosing too much for a 10 gallon when you started this cycle. You only have so much room in that filter for ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria's to grow.

You also stated you dosed without measuring when you first sat the tank up and then at 3-4. That would have been sufficient for cycling a larger tank and why we suggest starting the dose much less in those small tanks. You need not grow a ton of bacteria in a tank that will only house a few small fish.

I would now only be adding enough ammonia to feed your bacteria. And add no more ammonia until it hits 0 and then only a tad. The nitrites have to catch up before they can drop.

If it's any consolation, we see this here all the time. A tiny filter that's adequate for a small tank does not hold tons of filter media to grow a ton of bacteria.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-06-2012 at 06:22 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Also as a reminder you starting dosing too much for a 10 gallon when you started this cycle. You only have so much room in that filter for ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria's to grow.

You also stated you dosed without measuring when you first sat the tank up and then at 3-4. That would have been sufficient for cycling a larger tank and why we suggest starting the dose much less in those small tanks. You need not grow a ton of bacteria in a tank that will only house a few small fish.

I would now only be adding enough ammonia to feed your bacteria. And add no more ammonia until it hits 0 and then only a tad. The nitrites have to catch up before they can drop.

If it's any consolation, we see this here all the time. A tiny filter that's adequate for a small tank does not hold tons of filter media to grow a ton of bacteria.
    Good to know. Thank you for your comments and help. I will wait patiently until it's back to zero.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finished and stocked.

I have 4 guppies (3:1 female to male ratio), an African Dwarf Frog, and two ghost shrimp.

Thanks for all your help.