· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So! I just thought I'd update you, I think I promised earlier on? :) I got some new shrimp a few weeks ago, (april 25th actually haha) anyway, they were from a private breeder so they were much more red than the store bought. One lady shrimp was already preggers when I got her I think though I didn't see any signs of eggs until a few days later. (do you use the term fry before they hatch? or do you just call them eggs?) - she's still carrying the eggs, she's starting to look pretty ripe though. I hadn't seen any sign of breeding after they got in my tank though, which upset me a bit.. anyway, life got in the way for a while, and atm I'm struck with the flu.. hadn't even bothered having the lights on in the tank for a few days, and I had been neglecting the waterchanges. Not for weeks or anything, but it should have been done a few days ago, preferably twice.

So I check today, feeling not so sluggish, and the pump was jampacked (especially now that I use that new type of sponge) - I'm a bit worried that it would mess up the water with nitrate and such, because there was barely any flow.... yikes!! But I squeezed the filtersponges a bit and did a water change. Just in case, I'm gonna do some small changes these coming days. Maybe squeeze in a bit of goo from the bigger tank.

BUT i noticed, one of the store bought shrimp was carrying eggs in her "belly" woohoo! Sooooo now there's TWO preggy shrimps, hehe. It's interesting to watch though, the first one is actually rather small and bright red.. the store bought is huuuuge buth pale.

Anywyay, sorry for a long thread, just wanted to update. Seems like they are finally getting around now that there's more of them. I'm still looking for a bigger tank, but darn if I can find one! (used, inexpensive without any pump etc since I'm gonna try a DIY corner one)

0 Not allowed!
    When it comes to animals breeding, nature just has to run its course and we have to be patient. It'll happen when it happens. You might want to provide plenty of cover and hiding places so both the eggs and the little ones that hatch survive. Don't know if cherries are cannibals and eat their own young, but they might . . . And if you have other fish in the tank and wish for the babies to survive, they MUST have places they can go for refuge, OR, the fish should be removed.

I have cherries in with WC minnos and glofish and zebra danios. They've bred, and hide up in the grassy parts of the plastic fry mats I have floating at the surface (grass side down), and also they take shelter in the thick clump of java moss behind the ornamental rock. Since I started using Flourish, that mass of moss has gotten quite dense and is a very lush green.

Best of success to you -- and the shrimp.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My shrimps are alone, except for some snails. The tank is heavily planted wih l. sessiliflora, egeria densa, and java moss and some floating plants. So much plant life, I can barely look inside the tank :P

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Then you stand a good chance of raising most of that fry. With the whole neocaridina family of shrimp it's best to start with at least 6, that way you have a good chance of having both sexes.

I wouldn't do too much on a new tank just yet. A 15 liter well planted can easily house 20-30 shrimp. Keep an eye out for a good deal and take the time setting it up and cycling it.

Shrimp, as you discovered, need good quality water, plants and a filter that will not suck up the little ones.