Bahh, this is really frustrating me! I had two Cherry shrimp in my 110liter (29 us gallon) for a while.. these were two shrimps that I had just plopped in there as I didn't have a tank for them at the time. For some reason they managed to stay away from being eaten, and I rarely saw them. One night, I finally saw them and as I now had another tank, I decided I'd try to get some shrimp lovin' going on.

I moved them to a 4 us gallon (15 liter) tank, that was already well cycled and has lots of live plants.. I don't use any sort of water-"medication" as Ive read they can be harsh on shrimp (hardly any chlorine and such in our water here..so we dont need Aqua safe and the likes)

when I moved these cherry shrimp, I noticed the female was preggers, and few days later I found ONE baby shrimp..

I bought some more shrimp and now I've got five shrimps (plus some snails) in this tank, but they WONT BREED!

The females (two or three) all have their saddles visible, but none of the males seem interested.. at all. I give them food made for shrimp, they get pre-boiled frozen peas, bits of squash and spinach sometimes, they get bloodworms too.. I've got a patch of java moss growin on a piece of bog wood, but the java moss has not grown out yet...there are lots of live plants (only live plants) but NO romance!

Since its a small aquarium, I do water changes atleast once a week, but I try to do it more often.. and I try to keep the water at the same temperature... I also try to keep the water a bit hard (with minerals and such) since there are snails.

Has anyone had troubles breeding cherry shrimp? I KNOW it's supposed to be super easy, but I've had them in this tank for three months now and nobody is interested in the females! :-0 (the filtermedia is supposedly shrimp-fry safe)

I'm wondering, could it be that the shrimp wont spawn because there is not enough java moss? The moss is growing extremely slow so that could take aaages! I also have a plant there, Egeria densa, which supposedly releases some sort of stuff that is good for fish, could this be harmful for shrimp? I've never heard of that before but I mean.. there's gotta be something that stops them from spawning?