· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Cherry shrimps wont breed!

0 Not allowed!
    Bahh, this is really frustrating me! I had two Cherry shrimp in my 110liter (29 us gallon) for a while.. these were two shrimps that I had just plopped in there as I didn't have a tank for them at the time. For some reason they managed to stay away from being eaten, and I rarely saw them. One night, I finally saw them and as I now had another tank, I decided I'd try to get some shrimp lovin' going on.

I moved them to a 4 us gallon (15 liter) tank, that was already well cycled and has lots of live plants.. I don't use any sort of water-"medication" as Ive read they can be harsh on shrimp (hardly any chlorine and such in our water here..so we dont need Aqua safe and the likes)

when I moved these cherry shrimp, I noticed the female was preggers, and few days later I found ONE baby shrimp..

I bought some more shrimp and now I've got five shrimps (plus some snails) in this tank, but they WONT BREED!

The females (two or three) all have their saddles visible, but none of the males seem interested.. at all. I give them food made for shrimp, they get pre-boiled frozen peas, bits of squash and spinach sometimes, they get bloodworms too.. I've got a patch of java moss growin on a piece of bog wood, but the java moss has not grown out yet...there are lots of live plants (only live plants) but NO romance!

Since its a small aquarium, I do water changes atleast once a week, but I try to do it more often.. and I try to keep the water at the same temperature... I also try to keep the water a bit hard (with minerals and such) since there are snails.

Has anyone had troubles breeding cherry shrimp? I KNOW it's supposed to be super easy, but I've had them in this tank for three months now and nobody is interested in the females! :-0 (the filtermedia is supposedly shrimp-fry safe)

I'm wondering, could it be that the shrimp wont spawn because there is not enough java moss? The moss is growing extremely slow so that could take aaages! I also have a plant there, Egeria densa, which supposedly releases some sort of stuff that is good for fish, could this be harmful for shrimp? I've never heard of that before but I mean.. there's gotta be something that stops them from spawning?

0 Not allowed!
    How long have they been in the tank? Also, with the dechlorinator, are you saying you don't use any but there is chlorine in your water?
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is little to no chlorine in the water here (well there most likely IS, but it's minimal), especially in small towns like where i live in Norway. I sometimes use just a slight drop if I do a 50% water change in the community tank...even in the bigger cities here, serious fishkeepers dont normally use it because of the low levels of chlorine.

so I dont use it in the shrimp tank. Should I? I think I read somewhere that shrimp are sensitive to these water conditioners and such. I use cold tap water that I mix with boiled water to get the right temperature. (and I dont use any plant-vitamins since it contains copper etc)

My shrimp have been in the tank maybe three months. I bought this tank around christmas, but didn't set it up until the start of january.. I used a cycled filter media so I kickstarted the filter back then :)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm..

Well, I've got no moss and my shrimp breed like rabbits. What kind of filter are you running? And what's the minerals exactly?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using the AquaEl Fanfilter Micro, but I'm using a sponge from an Eheim air filter-somethingsomething - I just cut the sponge to fit into the AquaEl. (and obviously I made sure the sponge was jampacked with all that bacteria and such from the previous filter hehe)

The one that seems to be male is probably too young (it was the one who grew up in the tank) but there should be one or two more males and they dont seem to want to be fathers :-0

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    edit button wont work today! :'(

- but I forgot to add, - the mineral stone I use are small white "chalky" stones Ive bought at the pet store, meant to be put in the aquarium to make the water harder. I also have some powder that should make water harder but because the tank is so small I only use a small amount of this with the water changes (because water here is quite soft)

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe you're fussing around with the pH too much and it's stressing them too much to want to breed - just my 2cents.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Well products such as prime remove chlorine, chloromine AND ammonia. Although if the tank is cycled, I doubt ammonia isn't the issue.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have cherries.

I do monthly water changes. The water that goes back in is unheated, straight from the tap (rainwater)
    They are demand fed, as soon as one lot of food is gone more is put it.
    I have them on white sand and black gravel and they are the same stunning colours on both.
    The tank has live plants.

I pretty much leave em alone, i just sold over 150 shrimp out of the tank and it is still crawling with adults and babies.
    Cherry shrimp are as tough as nails!!
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    You may want to start adding a few more shrimp to that tank. I usually start with 20-30 shrimp and they multiply very quickly. With only 5 shrimp in your tank the chances of young ones is low in my opinion. Sorry.

Try and increase your stock.

Just a thought, I am not familiar with your filter. Is the water intake covered with a fine sponge or some other type of screen? Shrimp like to hang out on the intake tube and if they are small enough they could be getting sucked into the filter. I know I read it was a shrimp friendly filter but baby shrimp are really small as Lady Hobbs said.
    I would also stop using anything that would alter the water hardness. The store probably doesn't do that because of the cost, so the shrimp will be adapting to that change instead of doing what they do best, after eating that is.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.