· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Java fern looking diseased

0 Not allowed!
    Hi
    I've had a planted tank for two and a half years, java fern and anubias. Since I moved from Toronto to Montreal last summer my java fern hasn't been as happy as it was. It hasn't been growing as much and now it's developed a new problem.

The leaves of the smaller plants have brown splotches along the veins that get bigger and bigger. It seems to be spreading from one plant to another. I'm trying to pick out diseased leaves when I see them, but I think I'm going to end up picking all the leaves off my plants.

I'll try to attach a picture.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Tom

The picture will have to wait. I can't figure out how to upload a picture from an iPad to a post. (If anyone knows how....)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Is it brown patches, or defined brown circles.

The brown patches are the leaf dieing

If it is small rounded bumps then these are the start of what are known as plantlets. Plantlets are the java ferns way of reproducing copies of itself. They start as the brown bump then you will see brown feathery strings coming off of them, these are the plantlet roots, and finally small leafs will appear.

Will send you a link to my javas plantlets

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish...hp?photo=21847

At the tip of the leaf is a formed plantlet, lower down are the ones not yet formed
    Last edited by ScottishFish; 03-31-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default Pic of diseased leaves

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your answer Scottishfish. It's not new plantlets -- I used to have lots of those so that's a familiar look (not for a couple years though -- dunno why).

I've managed to attach a picture. The browning seems to start at the central veins. Sometimes I see it as a brown spot on the edge of the leaf that then spreads. My older leaves don't seem to be affected, though I do notice that some of them have blackened stems.

I'm very sad about this. I loved how lush and green my tank has looked over the years. It still looks okay now, but I'm worried that whatever is wrong is going to spread and kill my whole fern plantation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm that looks more like a disease to me, I've had javas die due to lack of light (shadowed by amazon swords) and they and up patchy and die. Yours look more specific to the centre of the leafs. After seeing that my moneys on it being a disease of sorts
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .