· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default antlers or sheds in tank?

0 Not allowed!
    random question i know, but im a hunter and as such have some racks and sheds, i was thinking stacked formations of them in my new 75 gallon would look very cool and be fun for fish. my question is does anyone know if anything can be done to them like wood so theyre safe to add to a tank? or are they really harmful to the fish?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Perfectly safe.. clean, boiled for germ kill... decorate....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For a pond in your backyard! - Pleco380   GO TIGERS!! - Crispy   Got your shortstop player right here, for your team. Blue Ram ;D - bignellm   Cheers for helping with my pics! and heres a firemouth cause I love em!! - ScottishFish   Ballpark frank anybody? - homemadepopcorn   
    Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - MLBfan   

0 Not allowed!
    Since deer antlers are bone, I think it can be done if it's clean.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Yes indeed! Great post[er]. - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    How's that for cultural differences.. no one in this country would think of that.

Antlers and bone are going to release substantial amounts of Calcium over time. Factor that in and, provided you clean them, you should be fine.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    awesome i thought it would be ok but wanted to make sure. thank you guys

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Fishhook   A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228   Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    All I can offer is opinion as I've not actually tried it, but for what an opinion is worth....

As far as hazardous to your fish, antlers are basically bones. And I'd say most fish do just fine with bones since they have them, so unless there is something toxic on the surface you didn't clean off I think that would be less of an issue.

However as for water quality, it may leech calcium and will eventually decompose, as water is the great equalizer. Because antlers are a bit more weather hardened they probably won't decompose as fast as internal bones would. There have been a few reports from people who tried things like skulls in tanks wherein they decomposed rather quickly.

If you decide you want to try it, be sure to scrub and wash them completely and that nothing else is attached to the antlers. And keep a sharp eye on your water parameters(ph) and the condition of the antlers, so you can pull them out if you need to. You may also be able to try sealing them with a clear coat of like Krylon fusion type paint that is safe when dry for the fish tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    i was planning on giving them a good 6 hour boil and scrub to clean them, and that clear coat idea is a great idea just to be safe. i think theyre going to add a nice custom touch to the tank :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - gadget228   Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    It will affect your water chemistry since bone will eventually decompose.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff Boo train boo train boo train boo train woohoo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonflame
    It will affect your water chemistry since bone will eventually decompose.
    +1 to the above. Anything that can/will decompose in water will effect your water in at least some way.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    my friend has something similar to this in his "swamp" like tank. im pretty sure though that he has said the bones were plastic because the real bones he had before decomposed fairly quickly and gave him trouble with water params. i will double check with him next time i see him tomorrow and get a definitive answer from someone who actually has done thing.